What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AP Switch No, 8.

I have a couple of spare flange washers for this switch if any members need one .

...and here is the round that goes in it. I also have the wood bulleted version as well.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• .40 Switch full.jpg
    .40 Switch full.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 36
Thanks spotter for the picture. Looking at the bullet it fires, its said to be a .303 round but looking at it, its no where near it, any one have an idea what it is?

Thanks Tony you beat me to the question i was going to ask. Has this round anything to do with a .303 round ie a cut down case, what caliber is this AP bullet, looks like a .50cal bullet head.

The original ones made by Kynoch were .351 Winchester self loader cases with the rims turne d off. You could still see the remains of the headstamp and the primers had the entwined "ICI" logo stamped on them. When these ran out Kynoch made new cases without any headstamp. The bullet is a specially turned steel bullet not made from anything else.

The repro ones were made from US .30 Carbine cases but that was totally wrong because we did not have the .30 carbine when the round was developed. Here is another picture of one of mine in which you can see the primer stamp.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• .40 Switch.jpg
    .40 Switch.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 39
I think that's the one i had Tony .30, it looked ok displayed next to the spike and was cheap,,,,,, Dave

Did the spike come fitted with the round at the factory or was the round inserted in the spike after laying. I take it that the end of the spike acts as a barrel when the cartridge is pushed down to activate the firing device.

Last edited:
Further to my previous post here is the Kynoch drawing for the No.8 Switch. Its correct nomenclature is "Cartridge S.A. Ball No.1 Mark I/L".

You can see that to make a repro from a .30 Carbine case results in a case of too small diameter.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 40 Switch.jpg
    40 Switch.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 46
There was a post-war development of the No 8 Switch which used a 0.303-inch cartridge.

There was a post-war development of the No 8 Switch which used a 0.303-inch cartridge.

I wondered where the .303 cartridge bit came into the equation but saying that its mentioned in war time manuals. I suppose the actual round used threw quite a few people off just trying to find out what it was and generalized it being a .303 round.

On another note, Its quite interesting reading that they were used against the allies by the Germans as captured stock, were they originally intended for SOE purposes in the first place or part of the British army mine inventory.
How rare are these switches anyway.