What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

are there any teen collectors on bocn ?

Ive run into a couple of teens over the years,but they were not collecters. They tend more to be selling off stuff left to them in wills,or stuff theyve stolen from their girlfriends fathers/grandfathers collections.:tinysmile_angry_t:

DISCLAIMER::: By no means does the (statement of experience) above infer or insinuate that I hold the core belief that ALL teens are thieves. Nor does it infere that EVERY teen that is in possession of Ordnance has stolen it.

Nor can my "statement of experience" be considered slander or sladerous due to the fact that my "statement of experience" wasnt directed at any one "named" person or group in particular.

Sheesh,,,,,,,

Last edited:
I know of at least one teen collector on BOCN (unless he has turned 20 in the mean time) and he is a very good contributor in every sense of the word.......Dano

hi im a teen i and colllect and some of my friends do and i didnt steal anything or get anything in a will so does ansewer your question

Over here in the Netherlands collecting teens is kinda illegal.
Then again, since, mentally, I never got any older than 16, I might get away with it :biggrin:.
But still.......I prefer ordnance!

greetz,

Menno.

As long as you dont ask for pictures of collecting teens, this topic will be legal.

:crossedlips:

im still a teen. honest!!:tinysmile_hmm_t:
paul.
Paul, when you were a teen dinosaur dung was still smokin' in the snow banks. I did come across your old high school picture. Your friend.....Dano

Attachments

• Alfred-E-Newman--13439.jpg
    Alfred-E-Newman--13439.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I'm 19, I've been actively collecting since I was 13. I was given my very first piece (5 fired 7.62 Blanks in links) aged 7.

hi im a teen i and colllect and some of my friends do and i didnt steal anything or get anything in a will so does ansewer your question

Easy Tiger,

No offence implied,just stating my experiences is all.

Its great your collecting. Good job and keep up the good work.

I didnt start till I was in my late 20's,and didnt really collect serious till I was in my late 30's.

Yeah mick, it'd be best NOT to come across too strong here. Lou didn't make any accusations. Just stated some experiences.
You'll find these forums quite friendly and accomodating as long as you are friendly too.
Another little hint. Correct grammar, spelling and punctuation. This is not a textathon or Twitter.
We're mostly adults here. Age wise anyways. So any of the text world ghetto speak, three long sentences without caps and periods all running together dung just ain't gonna cut it.

I speak for most of my BOCN brothers in welcoming all Young Guns to our collecting world and the best damn website out there and we look forward to helping wherever we can.
It's up to you...

We as collectors have bemoaned the fact in a previous thread that our collecting speciality is dying off because of a lack of younger collectors. We talk of ways to attract the younger people into the hobby, which is the only way to continue the hobby. Sadly though the responses to this thread seem to me to be counter productive to attracting youth. I can only assume the original question was sincere. If so, then the responses of turning it into a joke and, for want of a better word, slandering teens as thieves, etc., would certainly turn me off entering the hobby if I read them. We were all teens at one time and some of us developed our collecting interests back then. I doubt we were that different from today's teens who might share our interests. We need to step back and remember how we each found our way in this collecting circle and offer a helping hand, not a joke. Sorry if I offend some people, but sometimes we all speak before thinking of how we affect others with innocent comments.

To be honest I have mixed feelings about encouraging anyone to compete with me in auctions.

Would it be "nice" to have some young blood come in?
I suppose. But why?
Ummm...

If it were MY son it'd be fun.
My son is now 24 and it WAS fun when he was a teen. It still is. Except NOW he wants me to fix my truck instead of buying. If I wanted THAT I'd have stayed married.
I deal with teens and even younger in the Airsoft world and the website for the field I run.
Here is quite a NICE respite from that world. Kids ARE kids.
But, all that said, some Young Gun comes on here, behaves and shows interest and respect I can see my way to donating some spares or earlier buys that I don't want anymore.
Thats just me.

I hate auction competition, ties me in knots. I will take "snatch it up" option anytime. Bidding and waiting sweating, puking, getting the craps are all auction side effects for me. i like to keep it simple. How much is it? Oh my, do I have the money? Let check resources. Screw the auctions. I do realize they are part of it just not my cup of tea. I don't care if I bid against a 17 year old or 70 year old same result. I think many think as I do on this because I recently put some German WW1 doubles up for auction on Gun Broker to offset the cost of a few recent major acquisitions, to no avail. I then changed the format to "buy it now" and sold out in 2 days. What does that tell you?????...Dano

Last edited:
just wondring ? :tinysmile_classes_t

You should have asked that 60 years ago - I may have just "qualified"! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

But back then, the internet wasn't around, the moon landing was still a few years away , B&W TVs were in, and girls didn't want to know me (& they still don't!!!!).........and young girls had to be wary of dirty old men (well that's changed)
Cheers
Drew

I am glad that we have young collectors such as Falcon and fashinmick as part of BOCN. You are always welcome. Pat

P.S. Dano, there is no need to get upset bidding, simply wait until the last minute and bid six times the amount of the current bid. It works almost every time!

P.S. Dano, there is no need to get upset bidding, simply wait until the last minute and bid six times the amount of the current bid. It works almost every time!

But then if the current bid is ridiculously low say $10, and the item is worth $200, 6x $10 "may" grab u a bargain, but if I'm snipping, it will then be in my collection! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

"Swamping"' the opposition may also backfire and you could end up with a very expensive item.....

The bottom line for auctions is do your homework on what the item is worth and set a max. price that you are willing to pay.....and stick to it!
Remember the Auctioneers (more so in real live auctions) are pushing your "emotional" buttons....and the "rush" (stupidity?) of the moment
Happy Fleabaying.....

Cheers
Drew

just wondring ? :tinysmile_classes_t

Banksy -
You don't see that many teenage collectors, I think for two or three reasons. One is experience - a lot of the interest grows over the years from different things that people encounter - in the military, at clubs, from places you've been and seen. Most teens simply haven't had as much experience with actual munitions to really raise their interest.

Another is access. You build a collection over years of networking, contacts, travelling and knowing who is likely to have or find what you want. If you cannot get out and meet the people, it's much more difficult and you find less. Beginning as a teen your freedom is limited, travel can be difficult.

Finally there is the financial issue. As you may have noticed on the various websites, good stuff isn't cheap, and generally speaking, cheap stuff isn't good. If you want to go out and compete for certain pieces for your collection you need income, and to you have to make the decision that this is what you want to spend it on. For teens this may be one of the largest obstacles, and it doesn't always get better with age. I know of a number of collectors that live in little more than shacks, but have very nice collections, because that is the choice that they have made.

Several members have already made good suggestions for beginners, I would add one thought - find a mentor. Someone that you can respect and go to for advice when you want. Someone that shares the interest and can help with details on where to search, what pitfalls to watch out for, and possibly valuable time and money saving short cuts along the way. The internet is helpful for this, but treat it like you would anything else - until you meet and get to actually know the person, you only have their printed word to go on. See previous threads on Walts, and use your own best judgement