What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

are there any teen collectors on bocn ?

We as collectors have bemoaned the fact in a previous thread that our collecting speciality is dying off because of a lack of younger collectors. We talk of ways to attract the younger people into the hobby, which is the only way to continue the hobby. Sadly though the responses to this thread seem to me to be counter productive to attracting youth. I can only assume the original question was sincere. If so, then the responses of turning it into a joke and, for want of a better word, slandering teens as thieves, etc., would certainly turn me off entering the hobby if I read them. We were all teens at one time and some of us developed our collecting interests back then. I doubt we were that different from today's teens who might share our interests. We need to step back and remember how we each found our way in this collecting circle and offer a helping hand, not a joke. Sorry if I offend some people, but sometimes we all speak before thinking of how we affect others with innocent comments.

Ok I hold my hands up to starting the joke side of things on this post! It's a weird thing called English humour! I did think about it before posting my reply and would have made a simular comment be it OAP,Female or otherwise,the joke was directed at the title of the thread,not teens or any one group of people on this planet.
It would seem this joke has now been turned into some thing it is not and not intended to be.
And I'm sure teens,especially English ones,also have a sence of humour.

Tony

I started collecting when i was about 12. My first finding was inactive mortar, that i brought to the police office, and scared the hell out of them.
In the Netherlands, collecting cases etc is not age bound. However collecting ammo, with a permit , you have to be 18 to get a permit, and be a member of the NVBMB. Looking at the young members at the NVBMB there's enough youth getting in. Good to have them, becuase they have less problems to get access to data by internet, as us old digi-saurus members. Also they are allowed to ask the questions, we want to ask for years, but we didn't ask out of shame, so nobody will see that we dont know everything.:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Keeping up the hobby is more diffecult, as soon as you start for the serious items, a lot of money gets involved, and it may be not aviable for the Young ones. Although, right now i'm on budget by my wife, so keep your head up, you youngs, spend every nickle, penny or cent you have on this hobby, as soon as there will be a "she" your budget is limited. :tinysmile_twink_t:, and you be part of us.

hello some very interesting points of view have been expressed in this thread this thread was designed as an information finding exercise following my pose regarding ordnance collecting as a dying hobby to a face book generation i did not expect so many answers nether did i expect some members to get upset i did not start this thread as a joke however i read it back and laugh myself i believe that its good that some members Litton the mood of the forum i have received factual and funny answers so im happy! i would like to thank members for there contribution to this thread but i must express my unhappiness at some comments made by members my gramme and that some members seem to enjoy the lack of teens on this site due to every day dealings with them if you work with teens on a regular basis it is your choice no where on boon have i seen a no teens rule i believe that the comments regarding teen thieves where not not mente in a slanderous way however could be preserved by teen members as so this is due to the constant bad press teens get today! on the note of my gramme if any one has an issue instead of leaving me "little hints" e-mail me where i can try to correct my post ibeleve that was the wrong way of going about things im dslysic and find it hard to spell but i have not let this hold me back in life!

on conclusion than you to all boon members for there contribution to my thread

kind regards
alex.r

welcome to BOCN mate

best regards......

P.S.
it can take nerve to say that you have dyslexia,as folk can be embarrassed or feel uncomfortable about it.
I have discalculas,so i'm basically useless with numbers.

It can be a problem if folk are picky about grammer,but its good you have said it mate.
Well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello some very interesting points of view have been expressed in this thread this thread was designed as an information finding exercise following my pose regarding ordnance collecting as a dying hobby to a face book generation i did not expect so many answers nether did i expect some members to get upset i did not start this thread as a joke however i read it back and laugh myself i believe that its good that some members Litton the mood of the forum i have received factual and funny answers so im happy! i would like to thank members for there contribution to this thread but i must express my unhappiness at some comments made by members my gramme and that some members seem to enjoy the lack of teens on this site due to every day dealings with them if you work with teens on a regular basis it is your choice no where on boon have i seen a no teens rule i believe that the comments regarding teen thieves where not not mente in a slanderous way however could be preserved by teen members as so this is due to the constant bad press teens get today! on the note of my gramme if any one has an issue instead of leaving me "little hints" e-mail me where i can try to correct my post ibeleve that was the wrong way of going about things im dslysic and find it hard to spell but i have not let this hold me back in life!

kind regards
alex.r

There MAY some good points within but I refuse .............................................................

Last edited:
Only wish I had started in my teens. To think to have a whole lifetime to amass information, and being a teen today in the information age is much better than being a teen in my day (certain aspects anyway). Like I mentioned earlier I know one of our (in my opinion) more knowledgable collectors is 19 and I have a total respect for him and he has about another 50 years of improvement ahead....Dano

There MAY some good points within but I refuse .....................................................

I too am guilty of cracking a joke about the title. NOT the content.
(Oh how I long for the "old" days when one could do that without being called on it.):rolleyes:
(Just kidding. No tender moments please.)

Last edited:
I too am guilty of cracking a joke about the title. NOT the content.
(Oh how I long for the "old" days when one could do that without being called on it.):rolleyes:
(Just kidding. No tender moments please.)
I don't think anyone got their feelings hurt, and all was taken in context. I sure hope Paul did not get mad of me posting a picture of Alfred E. Newman as his high school pic ALL IN FUN.....Dano

hi

hello

i am 14 years old and have bin collecting for about 6 years and enjoy it as a hoby but i all so have dyslexia witch makes it hard for me to read, spell and right

jordon =]

kind regards
alex.r

Well said Alex,
collectors are collectors are collectors ect ect
be it teen,female,male or old fart! we all have one thing in common,our hobbie.
We all come from diffrent places and have diffrent views on many things,some of us are very serious about our pastime some of us like to have a laught along the way.
It would be a boring world if we all thought the same and agreed on every thing.
So I say welcome to all,and enjoy your hobbie however you choose to.
Just to get back on line with your original post a bit,I have had an intrest in ordnance at a very early age(pre teen even),we lived(and still do) close to the biggest training area in this country, and was always dragging things home from there when a kid,often much to the horror of my father(who was the local cop) and on more than one occasion had to call EOD out to take my collection away!
Those were the days!!!(don't miss the crack on the arse for doing it though!!)

All the best
Tony

kind regards
alex.r

Hey Alex,

My son is also a teenager (16yo) and the really sad thing (apart from being taller than me - he's 6'4" :tinysmile_angry_t: ) is that he is unfortunately not interested in any of my collecting interests, another underlying reasons why after 35+ years of collecting that I have decided to "let stuff go" and just focus on fuses.....

I also collect Antique Japanese Samurai Swords, and have one or two quite old koto blades....I'll intent to leave /give him a couple, but suspect they will end up on Fleabay...........and I'm talking about fully polished blades with papers.............

That's life.

Welcome to BOCN and enjoy it!
(I started collecting when I was about 7)

Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
Teeens on bocn ,pah now i will have to start a Bocaneers section
SERIOUSLY though judging by the responses of the younger bocn members to this thread,i would like to say they have shown high levels of maturity in the way they have responded to the banter
Teen ,pensioner,Dyslexic ,blind, deaf, from earth or mars,who cares we all have a common interest and are willing to help/educate each other,
Thats all that matters

Perfect idea. A Bocn-a-neers club. With an incentive program. We could all donate inert ordnance and when ever a new teen joins up,he gets a free welcome the the club gift.

Id be more than happy to store all donations at my house:tinysmile_grin_t:

By the way, dyslexic Im too.

just wondring ? :tinysmile_classes_t
What a great thread banksy. For some reason I've only just caught up with it.
I'm not a teen but luckily my son Tom (aged 13) is and is really into collecting inert ammunition. Rather a lot of my swaps box seems to have appeared in his collection over the last couple of years! It absolutely brilliant having a younger member of the family who is into such things. He's managed to get stuff of his own from various boot fairs etc as well and its really made me appreciate how cheaply it is possible to get a really nice collection, many of his rounds costing less than 10, OK they're not the rarest or most sought after but they look cool on his shelf. His latest project is doing up yet another butterfly bomb (his THIRD!) which he seems to have aquired from a mixture of sources. He keeps threatening to join BOCN so I'll have to get him to go for it.
As for getting new blood into collecting ordnance, when my Father in law was in school they took live bullets to school, took the cordite out and set fire to it. When I was a kid we took knives to school, now I guess you're only allowed mobile phones, you guys are having a much harder time than we used to in this politically correct world so to keep the hobby alive us oldies have got to help you guys!
Dave.