What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are these US bomb fuze parts?

ramc181

I'm trying to identify the four solid brass items on the left of this photo:

BDD3.jpg

They are all the same diameter, " for the wide part and 3/32" for the narrow neck.
In all cases the narrow part is 9/20" long, with a 1/16" hole through.
The wide part on each differs in length, as can be seen.

As these came from a rubbish dump on a former WWII 8AF bomb store, along with the Fahnestock clips, lead safety seals, fuze well plugs and other bomb-related debris, I wondered whether they could be some sort of fuze plunger.

All the best,
Paul

A few more of these turned up in the same place this weekend, so I now have a dozen of whatever they are.....

Annoyingly, I'm sure I've seen them before in a diagram somewhere.

All the best,
PB

Here you are.

Attachments

• M 111.jpg
    M 111.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 76
  • arming clip.jpg
    arming clip.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 58
Blu97 i cannot positively id these but theyre not from the m111a2 as per your photos,ive attatched photos of the part you have shown from my own m111a2,totally different to the items for id

Attachments

• P1000413.jpg
    P1000413.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 43
  • P1000409.jpg
    P1000409.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 32
Thanks chaps,

Just to confirm, the only holes these have are through the "neck", none whatsoever in the "body".

All the best,
PB

Yes I can confirm that I was wrong and had a better look and found this, some kind of transport safety. Troug the hole is a wire with that lead things you found.

Attachments

• Safety pin A.jpg
    Safety pin A.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 57
  • safety pin.jpg
    safety pin.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 59
Many thanks Blu!

I can now label them up correctly, and they will get their first public display over the May Day bank holiday weekend alongside other items from the same airfield.

Best wishes,
PB

pins

They are definitely the transport safety pins, which holds the gearing/turning of the vane assembly in the 100's series of tail fuzes.
They are secured with a safety pin or wire , going through the end hole of these pins.
Mrfuze, USA