What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arial mines

Madbomber31

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
Bought the photo's on Ebay.

Attachments

• Scannen0001 - kopie (3).jpg
    Scannen0001 - kopie (3).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Scannen0001 - kopie (5).jpg
    Scannen0001 - kopie (5).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Scannen0001.jpg
    Scannen0001.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Scannen0001 - kopie (6).jpg
    Scannen0001 - kopie (6).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Scannen0001 - kopie (4).jpg
    Scannen0001 - kopie (4).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 126
German Aerial layed, Ground Mines:

Hey Madbomber,
Those are some fine historical photos. At first glance they appear to be GC and GDs. Any idea whre the location was.
i know when our MEIU teams landed in France they found underground caves packed to the limit and had to remove and dispose of them. I have never seen so many in one place as in your photos.
Thanks for posting them. Below are a couple of rare ones of HMS Mirtle.
JOhn aka Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi John,

Thanks you have some good pics to nice,
They are GC and GD's i think some where in Greece.

Mines;

The ones I spoke of were found at St. Lo. When I get back home I will post a few.
Regards,
John

Thanks Waffie,

Here are 2 more.

Attachments

• Scannen0001 - kopie (2).jpg
    Scannen0001 - kopie (2).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Scannen0001 - kopie.jpg
    Scannen0001 - kopie.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 73
Bart,

Further info on your pictures

Charles Henry George Howard, 20th Earl of Suffolk, GC, (1906 – May 12, 1941) was an English bomb disposal expert, who was also an English Earl in the Peerage of England, belonging to the ancient Howard family. He was the son of the 19th Earl of Suffolk and his American wife, the former Margaret Leiter (sister of Lady Curzon and daughter of the American businessman Levi Leiter)
As Liaison Officer for the British Department of Scientific and Industrial Research during World War II, the 20th Earl of Suffolk was charged with rescuing rare machine tools, $10 million worth of industrial diamonds, fifty French scientists and heavy water. The Earl, accompanied by his private confidential secretary, Eileen Beryl Morden, comprised a part of France's scientific elite as the Nazis advanced through the country. The Earl and Miss Marden were successful in their objective of ushering the scientists out of France, as well as securing the industrial diamonds and heavy water. Howard's approach to his missions earned him the nickname "Mad Jack".

Bomb disposal

Following his return from France, the Earl worked for the Ministry of Supply as a Research Officer learning how to defuse bombs of new types. The Earl served as part of an unexploded bomb detachment in London during the Blitz. The detachment consisted of himself, Miss Morden, and his chauffeur, Fred Hards. They called themselves "the Holy Trinity" and they became famed for their prowess in detecting and successfully tackling thirty-four unexploded bombs with "urbane and smiling efficiency." Miss Morden stood by his side taking notes, as the Earl worked at defusing the bombs. Sadly, the thirty-fifth claimed its forfeit when all were killed on Erith Marshes in Kent on May 12, 1941. He was awarded the George Cross.

With acknowledgement to Wikipedia

Regards

Tim. G.

Last edited:
The Earl of Suffolk;

TimG,
I am sorry I missed your followup comments on John Howard. Yes I am aware of "The Holy Trinity" and the work they did in the early part of the war. There is now a magazine article written by Chris Ransted of the UK archives and goes into detail of that fateful day when an ELAZ 17 ran down on him and his fellow workers.
Regards,
John aka Bart

Some great pictures Jack/John.

Jack, I've got some photos of a Japanese bomb dump being investigated at the end of the war, in one of the photos, at a distance, is seen something similar to these mines, in size and shape of the tail. Not identical, but about 80cm in diameter and with a four blade tail. Air dropped sea mine is the best I can think of, but I've found no document so far. Ever heard of anything? I'll hunt for a photo later when I get a chance.

Jeff there is one type i can think of thats the Type JI contact mine.
Love to see the photo :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Jap JI

Jack,
I was going to say the same. I had the only JI as a practical exercise in my Area 8 at EOD school.
Regards,
John aka Bart

Hi John,

I have never seen one befor just a bad drawing i have.

Hi Jo,

Here some data on it.

Attachments

• Seite-38c.jpg
    Seite-38c.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 39
Sorry for the delay guys - I was at the Dutch EOD's 65th anniversary gathering. We were looking for you Jack, ??

Anyway, here are the photos, cropped a bit to save on pixels. They are just right of center in the first photo. I've been able to identify all of the other bombs, the four disks on the rear would be typical for multiple fuzes, but most large bombs that can take multiple in the tail have capability for only two. This is the only photo I have found these items in to date.

Attachments

• D-O-BMB-JPN-024.jpg
    D-O-BMB-JPN-024.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 41
  • D-O-BMB-JPN-024-1.jpg
    D-O-BMB-JPN-024-1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 49