What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Armstrong Fuze

Tarbelin51

Ordnance approved
hello

I looking for some info on this fuze appears to be a time fuze Armstrong , lead body.
if you have sketches or diagrams, I'm interested.

100_9052 (1).jpg100_9055 (1).jpg100_9053 (1).jpg
100_9057 (1).jpg
pencil.png

There were several versions of the fuze in British service. This extract from Treatise of Ammunition might be of interest.
Treatise on Ammunition 1877 54.jpg

Treatise on Ammunition 1877 55.jpg

Sir,
as Norman has shown above,however, your model is an ealrlier than the model "E". Later models of this design were made of brass as shown in my illustration below. Your version is made of gun metal. A paper timeing sleeve was glued to the lower half of the fuze body.
The later "E" model had inscribed time rings. some "E" modelss are found with gun metal and brass top locking nuts which lock the setting ring after the time is set.
Regards,
John aka bart

Attachments

• British Early Armstrong Metal Time Fuse.jpg
    British Early Armstrong Metal Time Fuse.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tarbelin51,
This note may be a bit late but I have only just joint the group. Your fuse is a Pattern "C" introduced in 1863. The Pattern "D" was outwardly identical but as it was superceeded after two weeks by the Pattern "E" it very unlikely that any were manufactured and it was just a design.

I will attempt to attach a cross-section of the fuse but not being use to the system it may not work!!Armstrong.jpg

Attachments

• Armstrong C Pattern.jpg
    Armstrong C Pattern.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 24