What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army Cadet Instructors

pointblank0

BOCN Supporter
Hello,

Is there anyone here in UK who is a cadet instructor? Reason is, I have just applied to be one and would be nice to have a bit of input.

Cheers

I used to be one. I suspect the training will depend on your local county setup. As an ex reg I slotted straight in to my local detachment without too much agro and was allowed to instruct cadets from day 1. This was all before CRBs though so I don't know what the procedure will be now. The county did local training for adults over various weekends and we did a week or two at Fullwood Barracks in Preston with an army team that didn't take it too seriously. Thre was adult instructors there of all levels from people who didnt have a clue to ex cadets who thought they knew it all to and old sweats like me who really did:p You can get commissioned and become an Officer, I think its a P type commission and its a real one, you never know what you might be asked to do in an emergency.

Thanks for the info. Apparently they sort out the CRB check and you can start under supervision. You can no longer train on your own until you have completed a 1 week training course (which I assume is the one you were talking about). Nice to get some free range days though

Range Days. Yeah, just before I was gonna bag a go on the Gimpy at Barry Budden some snot nosed cadet jammed it and we could get it free without the armourers help. He was back in Carlisle.

This is where to ask your question.

http://www.armycadetforce.com/forum/index.php

Do a search first as there are lots of posts on this question.

I became an instructor about 12 months ago after 17 years in the TA. Quite a culture shock dealing with a bunch of kids especially the gobshite girls. They have their moments!

You will do some basic induction training (normally four days) followed by a week long AITC course after which you get your sergeants stripes.

There are then two further courses at the Cadet Training Centre to progress your career further if you want.

Just remember you are not in the army and there are very few disciplinary options you can now use without getting into trouble. Still a very good experience and I wish I had started years ago.

Thanks for all the input. I am awaiting an interview at the moment so should have a better idea within the next couple of weeks. I deal with gobshite kids daily anyway so shouldn't be too hard to adjust to. Quite looking forward to it really.