What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arp practice incendiary bomb

paul the grenade

I spotted this on a recent visit to eden camp. ive never seen one before, anyone got any info on it?
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• eden camp 1.jpg
    eden camp 1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 125
  • eden camp 2.jpg
    eden camp 2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 104
Paul, I have two different versions of these, and they are different to the one in your picture ! all made by firework companies. I also have a little thunderflash type firework that was used to simulate the explosive nose type IB. I think they are interesting in thier own right. I will have to find them and get some pics on site.

As promised some pics of the practice IB flares from my collection, all inert of course, just empty cardboard cylinders. You may be able to read the instructions on the labels by enlarging the pics. The black one is the Brock Incendiary, covered in a previous post.

Attachments

• 126.jpg
    126.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 127.jpg
    127.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 55
My examples

As promised some pics of the practice IB flares from my collection, all inert of course, just empty cardboard cylinders. You may be able to read the instructions on the labels by enlarging the pics. The black one is the Brock Incendiary, covered in a previous post.

Here are my examples, the large one is what S.O.E converted into the Incendiary as the smaller example,,,, Dave

HPIM5709.jpg HPIM5710.jpg HPIM5711.jpg HPIM5712.jpg HPIM5713.jpg

I think these were the fore runners of what S.O.E converted into the incendiary pots

They pre-date the SOE but when Langley (time pencil fame) became SOE so did these flares. The One Pound version was 8 inches long and 1 1/2 inches diameter and was known as the ML Flare (to fit in between the 'L' [Large] Flare and the 'M' [Medium] Flare). It was a development of the Brock 1lb ARP Practice Bomb and in 1939, after the outbreak of war, unmodified 'flares' were supplied to the field. Langley proposed a number of his own designs but the Brock version with slight modifications to size and initiation was adopted. About 400,000 were manufactured before they dropped out of favour in 1943.

They were part of the Aux Unit kit.

Box

DSC06346.jpgDSC06363.jpgDSC06349.jpgI have this box in my collection, found in Berlin, several years ago, full with German and British Sabotage items, all items in these pictures are complete inert and everybody can see the complete boxes at Liberty park Holland, the are part of my collection. have fun, Ben