What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Article on "The "Krupp" shell case drawing numbering system" V2.0

Hoeksel

Hi all,

Over the past few years I was working on this article and now I find I have something worthwhile of publication. I have completely rewritten my earlier publication on the subject, hence this version is V2.0. You will see I used images and information from BOCN hence I publish my article here as well. I love the activity on this website!

Enjoy reading!

I look forward for corrections or for new information related to the topic! Feel free to PM me or discuss in the chat below. If I have enough new information, I will publish an updated version in this thread.

The publication describes the Krupp shell case numbers, e.g., the infamous number 119A on the 37x94R44 shell case and answers the question if number 119 exists.
Also included are Ottoman translations for all known primers and sub-caliber devices, how to date DWM made shell cases, an overview of the known DWM numbers for large bore military shell cases, and an overview of another yet unknown numbering system on large bore civil shell cases. I got side-tracked quite a lot while working on this article ;-).

Regards,

Kornel Hoekerd

Attachments

• The Krupp shell case numbering system V2.0 April 1st 2024.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 45
Great article; thank you very much. The drawing in figure 12 contains 3 stamps from the Artillerieinrichtingen (AI) in Zaandam. A former employee of that factory told me that they sometimes produced shell casings for German factories, complete with the German stamps. I don't whether that was done during World War I, but it's possible.

Thanks and regards,

Carel.

A magnificent comprehensive body of work! You must have spent uncounted hours compiling and organizing all the data and photos.

No one could have done it better than "Mr. Cartridge Case"

Thanks for sharing your wonderful work!

Hi all,

Over the past few years I was working on this article and now I find I have something worthwhile of publication. I have completely rewritten my earlier publication on the subject, hence this version is V2.0. You will see I used images and information from BOCN hence I publish my article here as well. I love the activity on this website!

Enjoy reading!

I look forward for corrections or for new information related to the topic! Feel free to PM me or discuss in the chat below. If I have enough new information, I will publish an updated version in this thread.

The publication describes the Krupp shell case numbers, e.g., the infamous number 119A on the 37x94R44 shell case and answers the question if number 119 exists.
Also included are Ottoman translations for all known primers and sub-caliber devices, how to date DWM made shell cases, an overview of the known DWM numbers for large bore military shell cases, and an overview of another yet unknown numbering system on large bore civil shell cases. I got side-tracked quite a lot while working on this article ;-).

Regards,

Kornel Hoekerd
Hi Kornel
Thank you very much for sharing this great work. Highly appreciated.
It will answer many questions for many people.
Cheers !

Hi Hoexel
The table shows a 15cm x 742R175 cartridge with the indication that it is a cartridge for the 15cm Škoda L/40 naval gun (M.96).
By great chance, today I discovered such a cartridge in a second-hand shop (he had two more there, but outside the scope of this article). So I confirm the length of the cartridge and the size of 175mm and the diameter of the primer screw.

It is in original condition. It has a 22 mm match screw and is signed (Kurrentschrift) ,,FK,, and also ,, Sb,, . I don't know if the seller will be willing to let me take pictures... he will rather sell.
Akon

Hi Hoexel
umg. 15cm ...k.u.k.
k.u.k Festungsartilerie :
15 cm Küstengeschütze L/40 (M.97 ) - (15x740R176)
15cm M.97 sch.Hülsen + Hülsenzündschraube M.97 , Röhrenpulvers 15/700 M.97 ;
15cm M.97 Ubüngshülsen + Hülsenzündschraube M.97 ,Röhrenpulvers 15/400 M.97 ;
15cm M.97 Exerzierhülsen + Hülsenzündschraube M.97 , 0,2/4 Exerzierscheibchenpulver M.93 (0,35kg) +Stein Geschützpulver (30g) + Geschützpulver lit.C (3kg) ;
15cm M.97 Salutierhülsen + Hülsenzündschraube M.97 , ...?

Hi Hoexel
umg. 15cm ...k.u.k.
k.u.k Festungsartilerie :
15 cm Küstengeschütze L/40 (M.97 ) - (15x740R176)
15cm M.97 sch.Hülsen + Hülsenzündschraube M.97 , Röhrenpulvers 15/700 M.97 ;
15cm M.97 Ubüngshülsen + Hülsenzündschraube M.97 ,Röhrenpulvers 15/400 M.97 ;
15cm M.97 Exerzierhülsen + Hülsenzündschraube M.97 , 0,2/4 Exerzierscheibchenpulver M.93 (0,35kg) +Stein Geschützpulver (30g) + Geschützpulver lit.C (3kg) ;
15cm M.97 Salutierhülsen + Hülsenzündschraube M.97 , ...?

Attachments

• Snímek obrazovky z 2024-04-10 19-47-43.png
    Snímek obrazovky z 2024-04-10 19-47-43.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 15