What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Artillary: The king On The Battlefield.

V40

I am asking for help about two artillery pieces. That were used by the North Vietnames.

1) The Soviet, 122mm, D74. and the.
2) Soviet, 130mm, M46

I know some facts about these as they were used in North Vietnam and manufactured by the Soviets
Does anyody have any close shots of one, its artillary, the artillery and the site mount. I ask this because when a SOG Team found one in a magnificent hiding place. They found it when one of the team members hand went up to it onto camoflage netting. They tore away the netting and found huge doors(2) that must of weighed 500 pounds a piece but they were easily manhandled. They went almost all the way back and the found the gun on rails to fire enough rounds into places such as Bien Het, Khe Sahn, Quang Tri, Kham Duc and the other Special Forces camps near the Laotion and the Cambodian border with those being FOB for SOG were FOB To SOG. They came back with three rounds in their containers humping back to the LZ to be picked up from there. From there they were given to Ben "Conrad" Baker to be anylized for possible country of origin and to see if it can be used it in opreartion "Pole Bean"

Last edited:
If you key the gun designations into your search engine, a variety of sites come up that discuss the guns. The 122mm had a range of 15 miles I believe, and the 130mm gun a range of 17 miles. The U.S. 175mm beat both of them with a range of 21 miles, but had bad accuracy at those ranges.

Since Nam, longer range projos have been developed, and Israel pushed the range of the 175mm to 50 Km.