What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auctions and Reserves

Jolly Green

I cannot for the life of me figure out why sellers set their Reserve prices higher than the Starting Bid.

It seems the Reserve Price is the price they "Reserve" for the minimum they'll take. So why start LOWER?
I don't buy the "To get the bidding started" crap.

I just don't bid on anything with a reserve price. I'm with you Jolly, The Starting bid should be the Reserve. I think that's really how it's supposed to work. I've just about sworn off the online auctions. Luckily, I've done well acquiring stuff lately, but this auction business is for the birds. Too much like playing poker. Plus, I hate to lose. I know, I miss out on some good stuff, but it's not like you "save" money. Eau contraire, you usually pay more than the item's worth. I much prefer dealing direct, with people I know or know of.

Rick

Last edited:
On eBay it can mean the seller pays less to list the item, but I agree, I really dislike reserve auctions.
Only time I used it was when selling a damaged item as was unsure how much it was worth to others and listed on the basis I would keep it if it didn't make enough.

Andrew

Come on guys,
its no different to a normal auction where a seller puts in his or her items for sale. Bids start at whatever the auctioneer can get but if the end price or reserve isnt high enough, i e the lowest price the seller will accept then the item isnt sold.
Have any of you guys been to an auction of property or goods? Well, this is commonplace there so why should eBay or anywhere else be any different?
In my book this is just a silly moan. Auctions are like this worldwide so why should it be any different for ordnance collectors, get real.

Andy

Yeah you're right. Its a silly moan. Maybe it IS like you say worldwide but it doesn't mean its right OR that I have to like it. I SURE don't understand it. Its just a fishing expedition. Most Auctions for goods that I've seen, the highest bid must be taken. If they START at a price and the bid is MADE at that price and no other bids... SOLD!
Gee Andy you were doing fine till the last line of your post. I didn't realize I'd hit a nerve. Don't be so...stuffy. You don't get "silly"? You don't "moan"? uh huh...
If the seller has a "lowest price he'll accept" why not just POST it? Why dick around?

Yes, I am aware of auction house auctions, but I wouldn't say it is a moan, just a point of view. The reason I dislike them, be they online or auction houses is down to not knowing if you are wasting time bidding, and particularly online, you may have been willing to bid above the reserve, but if other bidders won't raise their bids you have no chance.

At auction houses it is a bit more understandable as it usually applies to high value items, but often online the reserves are low enough for it to have just been better to start the bidding at that point.

My view relates to any auction, not just ordnance by the way.

No bud,
it isnt being stuffy, its just that any auction i have been to starts with the lowest price price being offered by a bidder and then 'worked' up by the auctioneer. This style of auction is as old as the hills [my grandfather was an auctioneer] and if the price the seller wants isnt achieved they have protected their item and it isnt sold. The same can be said for anyone selling anything in a similar vein on any auction house be it online or otherwise so i dont understand why you are moaning. This is nothing new, been around for a very very long time.
If there is no 'Reserve' on an item it then sells for the best price achieved but there is no law or rule that says a seller cannot set a minimum price or reserve. In fact, such a setting of reserves has saved many a valuable item from being sold off far too cheaply where for instance its been put into the wrong type of auction or there havnt been enough bidders on the day.
What you are moaning about in my book is a perfectly normal occurance and occurs every day in all the auction houses all over the world all of the time.

Andy

kngt.gif

Nice one bud,
its a perfectly normal way of doing things, doodoos or otherwise.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Andy