What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian .303 Drill LP1

TonyE

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
For the .303 afficiendos I thought I would post this recently acquired drill round. It is an Australian Drill Local Pattern Mark I from WW2.

These were cast from pot metal with a steel reinforced base, and were made by two companies. This version was made by Die-casters of Melbourne and it is believed they made only 142,000. It is unheadstamped.

The other version was made by K.B.Carmichael, also of Melbourne, and is headstamped "LP1 K B C". It is not known how many they made but it was probaly similar to Die-caster's production. The other difference is that the flutes in the Die-casters round are milled after casting, whilst the Carmichaels one has the flutes cast in.

These are fairly rare rounds, partly because of the limited number made but mainly because of the poor quality of the metal used. The rounds suffer from stress cracking as can be seen in this example and many have simply fallen to pieces by now.

This round will replace one I already had that was in even poorer condition.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Australian LP1.jpg
    Australian LP1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 54