What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Austrian 1895 Case

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured is a recent find a 1895 manufactured Berndorf produced 75mm case. Also shown for comparison is a Berndorf produced case for the 75mm M15 mountain gun. The 1895 case is 170mm long, rim 88mm and mouth 75mm, can anybody provide some information on the gun? I found the primer interesting, it is the same as found on German WW1 10cm cases. I tried exchanging examples and they are a perfect fit. The case has been repaired at the mouth, could the R. on the base indicate this repair? Not often you find early Austrian stuff in the UK, glad to have your views.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 45
Just a thought, the dimensions of this case are very close to that of what we call the 15pdr Erhardt (length 169mm, rim 89mm and mouth 76.2mm). This gun was a commercial design and was purchased by the British in 1900. I don't think the gun was designed specifically for British service, could it have been sold to Austrian a few years earlier? This history would explain the German style of primer, very glad to have your comments.

Hello,
This is the second I see, the other without the R.
I think the cartridge case is an export production, ltypical acceptance mark are missing.
best regards