What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Austro-Hungarian 21cm projectile

I do not know, fell apart in the head section of the detonator exploded. 1 cm thick metal plate was there, gunpowder ring. a central tube appeared in the middle of a 3 cm thick

sorry for the translation, I use google translator ....

Last edited:
If the diameter of the shell is effectively 24 cm, it's very similar (to see the two driving bands) on the 24 cm Spgr L/4,1 m. Haube ! But,....... not evident !

Yoda

it is certain that the Austro-Hungarian era remains. the other shells we could find for this reference

Hi,
construciont seems austrian, other GS was made in this way.
I never seen this kind of ammo on austrian 21cm...

here a 10.5cm M14T GS, and a 30,5cm GS

Attachments

• DSCN1686.jpg
    DSCN1686.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 80
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 89
Sorry, correction,
I've found it, it's not a Spgr shell, it's the 24 cm Schrapnell L/4,1 m. Haube with DoppZ 16 fuze.
I shall post picture tomorrow.

Yoda

Hi,
construciont seems austrian, other GS was made in this way.
I never seen this kind of ammo on austrian 21cm...

here a 10.5cm M14T GS, and a 30,5cm GS

that's exactly my opinion!

@Yoda: german WW1 naval shell on Gyr firing range? And compare the size of the fuze, it is larger than his hand, that a austro hungarian "Granatschrapnellznder".

Last edited:
the area of an old military shooting range. the First World War, has been used.

now be exempted from the range. Our company carries out the discharge

Here the doc I promised.
With only three pictures is it difficult to make a correct ID.
The 24cm Schrap L/4.1 is the most similar that I can see. That's the reason why I asked measurements.
Austro-Hungarians have used various german ammunitions (shells and fuzes). It's very possible that they have tested them on this range... or used in activity !

I hope the doc will be readable !

Yoda

Attachments

• 24cm Schrap.jpg
    24cm Schrap.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Hi,
@ yodamaster: you are right about german shell use, for the 24cm caliber only in 24cm K16.

if it's a 24cm, I think could it be for a 24cm M98 mortar, driving band seems very similar
best regards

Attachments

• corona 24cm rid.jpg
    corona 24cm rid.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 20
HI Bombas,

it's much likely a Granatschrapnell (shrapnell with high explosive head part). Did you meassure exact diameter? And also counting the number of grooves in the drivingband can help to identify the gun.

Such austrian Granatschrapnells are known in calibres 7,5 cm, 8 cm, 9 cm, 10 cm, 12 cm, 15 cm, 30,5 cm, and 38 cm but not jet in 21 cm. But the documents are incomplete and on Gyr firing range also trials are much possible. Most large austro-hungarian guns were tested on Gyr range.

Last edited: