What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Avro Lancaster C-GVRA

HAZORD

Premium Member
This past Summer in August, one of the 2 remaining Lancaster bombers that are flying, made a low pass by the Saskatoon Control Tower in Canada.

Attachments

• 7526GVRA1 C.jpg
    7526GVRA1 C.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 7535GVRA3 C.jpg
    7535GVRA3 C.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 51
  • image001 C.jpg
    image001 C.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 52
  • image002 C.jpg
    image002 C.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 59
John,

Very nice, particularly the first and the last. Are you aware that it is known as the Mynarski memorial Lancaster?

Regards

TimG.

Tim,

I didn't know that. I am very impressed with the photographer's work also. Beautiful photos. Sorry I had to compress them to display here.

Tim,

Thanks for sharing that. It is very well worth reading. One helluva story.

Not sure which plane it was,but we had a Lancaster flying over last years Beltring show.
Very enjoyable too!

best

waff

It was probably from the battle of britain memorial flight based at RAF Conningsby in Lincolnshire. It flys over Lincoln regularly with a Spitfire and Hurricane and is always a joy to see.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t We also get the Red arrows zooming around which can be a bit of a pain when they are low flying over my house!:tinysmile_cry_t:

She lives in Hamilton Ontario, I see it fly quite often in the summer...love the sound!!!!

Dean

Very nice pictures Hazord, beautiful aircraft.
Very lucky here in Lincolnshire to have two Lancasters within an hours drive. The BBMF lanc at Conningsby and also the lanc at East Kirkby. The one at East Kirkby does regular taxi runs and sometimes at night, great sight on a cold frosty night, I hear the plans are to get her flying (depending on the condition of the airframe). Its one thing to taxi an aircraft of that age, quite another to get an airworthy certificate. But fingers crossed. Now two in formation- that would be a sight wouldn't it?

Heres some lanc pics, not as good as Hazords, the first the BBMF lanc, the second the East Kirkby lanc and the third a Hurricane for good measure.

HPIM2096.jpgHPIM4408.jpgHPIM4426.jpg

Love those low flying photos thanks for posting
Kev.

East Kirkby Lancaster

Some images from inside the East Kirkby Lancaster (with apologies for lack of sharp focus): the cockfit; looking forward from the astrodome; looking back to the rear tail gunner's position over the tailplane spar; and a close up of the rear turret access.

The last two are particularly poignant to the story of Andrew Mynarski VC, whose story is told in the link from TimG. All the metal edges are hard and unforgiving, and there is crawling room only. Difficult enough to negotiate while static on the ground - unimaginable in a bucking, burning aircraft.

Final image is of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster at dispersal at RAF Barkston Heath.

Tom.

Attachments

• Lancaster cockpit.jpg
    Lancaster cockpit.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Lancaster, astrodome forward.jpg
    Lancaster, astrodome forward.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Over tailplane spar to rear turret.jpg
    Over tailplane spar to rear turret.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Rear turret.jpg
    Rear turret.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 24
  • BBMF Lanc, RAF Barkston.jpg
    BBMF Lanc, RAF Barkston.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 23
And the other one did this in holland few month ago!
Hell of a sound those merlins..

I have one in my back yard its an Merlin XX came from a wreck out of the northsea.

Some images from inside the East Kirkby Lancaster (with apologies for lack of sharp focus): the cockfit; looking forward from the astrodome; looking back to the rear tail gunner's position over the tailplane spar; and a close up of the rear turret access.

The last two are particularly poignant to the story of Andrew Mynarski VC, whose story is told in the link from TimG. All the metal edges are hard and unforgiving, and there is crawling room only. Difficult enough to negotiate while static on the ground - unimaginable in a bucking, burning aircraft.

Final image is of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster at dispersal at RAF Barkston Heath.

Tom.

Nice pics, also the Raf transmitter T1154! nice i have one in my collection,
heres the picture of this fine machine,

Happy days using the 1154 and 1155 in my early Amateur radio days
Steve (G6UXN)

I don't think I have ever seen the Lancaster before, may be in the late 60-80's which means it came from over there to the Dayton Air Show in that time period. But I did see another one of your awsome aircraft do very low passes and she looked magnifacent. She was the Vulcan, and made allot of noise to boot.

The Avro Vulcan, a pilot's plane; a crew of six and only two ejector seats. No prizes as who got to sit on those. There is more than one instance of the pilots ejecting and leaving the rest of the crew to their fate.

Regards

TimG.

Here is the one that flew over Beltring 25th and 26th July.

Attachments

• Lancaster Beltring 2009 a.jpg
    Lancaster Beltring 2009 a.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Lancaster Beltring 2009 b.jpg
    Lancaster Beltring 2009 b.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 8
Cracking photos John, thanks for showing them.
I live near to RAF St Athan in South Wales. About 10 years ago they did up one of the Lancasters (presumably the one that lives at Conningsby) and I was fortunate enough to be doing some work in the hangar where the restoration was nearing completion. Had a chance to have a good close up inspection, very nice indeed and it really is unbelievable the amount of dedication the restoration guys put into these things.
Dave.