What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AZ 47 44 2cm

I'll take a look in my papers when I am home tonight. However for as far as I know it was used on 2 cm Solothurm Flak shells.
Regards , DJH

Hi:
Here is a list of all the fuzes I have on my 2cm Flak:

-AZ 5045 1939
-AZ 5045 1940
-Kpf. Z.45 1941
-Kpf. Z.45 1942
-Kpf. Z.45 1943
-Kpf. Z.Zerl.Fg 1943 Marine
-AZ 1504a 1944
-AZ 49 1504 1944
-AZ 48 1944
Also Id like to know what the hell is this round. The shorter one.

Attachments

• Hell 1.jpg
    Hell 1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Hell 2.jpg
    Hell 2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Hell 3.jpg
    Hell 3.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Hell 4.jpg
    Hell 4.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Hell 5.jpg
    Hell 5.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Hell 6.jpg
    Hell 6.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Hell 7.jpg
    Hell 7.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 46
Hi Miguel, the AZ1504 was used only on Mg 152/20 or 20 mm Oerlikon short (both 20x81mm) cartridges.
The one projectile you show has an overall same length as all HE shells for the 20x139 Solothurm, exept the Kopfz. Zerl Fg was used on projectiles WHITOUT a tracer. Normal fuzes dit not have a mechanical Fg Self destruct mechanism , so they relied on a tracer self destruct.
Regards , DJH

No, the shorter one (if it has no tracer) has to be fuzed with the Kpz. Zerl. Fg. For the AZ1504 you need a 20x81 HE projectile.

Hello

as Pzgr40 said, your AZ 1504 is for 2cm MG 151/20 rounds, like this one:

Attachments

• HeiG.jpg
    HeiG.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 42
Hi Miguel, here you are. You can clearly see the difference between the length of the tracer SD shells and the cartridges where the fuze has a mechanical SD device; a drawing of the disc is added, they are placed at in the fuze at the green arrows. So, the short projectile needs the Kpfz Zerl FG, the longer ones the AZ 47. It enshures the total length of the cartridges remains the same overall for all types of German HE.
All fuzes from the scanned in "2cm fuzes" drawing are for the longer projectile Solothurm shells.
The top one is the MG151/20 with the AZ 1504. As you can see, the body of this fuze protrudes much deeper in the projectile body as the fuzes used on the Solothurm projectiles.
Regards DJH

Ps: the three duplex detonators not cut in this picture are -by meself- machined solid DUMMY's (before my mailbox starts filling up)

Attachments

• 2cm solothurm and 2 cm Mg151-20.jpg
    2cm solothurm and 2 cm Mg151-20.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 2cm fuzes.jpg
    2cm fuzes.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 1 Mech sd disc safe.JPG
    1 Mech sd disc safe.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
The short cartridge in top of the picture is the 20x81G MG151/20, the four below it are 20x139B Solothurm cartridges.
Regards DJH

AARRGGGHHHHHH, I want id on MY shell :tinysmile_cry_t3:. Now I have learned about 1504 fuzes, but still have no clear what is that shell. :frown: MY shell.

Attachments

• Copia de Hell 2.jpg
    Copia de Hell 2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Hell 6.jpg
    Hell 6.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 13
It is also a 2 cm Flak shell:tinysmile_cry_t2:....... it belongs on the 20x139 B shellcase. It must be fuzed with the Kpfz. Zerl. Fg fuze. YOUR projectile is one of the types with the green arrow on the fuze, presumably the one without tracer (3rd from below).
Regards DJH

Last edited:
B means belted, it is the thicker part on the lower part of the shellcase. And No , there is only one type of shellcase.
Regards DJH

Ok, then the 2cm Flak cases are always the same case, except on the top, with crimped and not crimped tops. Crimped for early rounds and flat for war shells. Right?
I have never seen before a shorter shell for 2cm Flak. Are they rare?

Most often the brass shellcases were crimped, as this material is more ductile. I think one simply preferred to press projectiles in steel cases as this gave less problems with shellcase mouths breaking near the crimp with steel cases, causing weapon malfunction. However crimped and pressed can be found in brass and steel
There will be some experimental 20x139 shellcases without a doubt, but they have never been put into use. And they are without question very rare.
Regards, DJH

Im very surprised that only you have answered to my questions, if this have been a question about a grenade the thread would be full with different members posts. Is the 2cm Flak a very specialized collecting field?