What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B.O.C.N. cred

Ho hum !

Well SirNotappearinginthisfilm you have a nice selection of goodies there !

I do notice what appears to be a 17 Pounder & 77 MM Armour Piercing Potted Sabot/Tracer projectile from around 1948 era-I would be most interested to know what stampings you have on yours if I am correct that it is indeed an A.P.P.S-T (see my Avatar) I always was under the impression that these projectiles only briefly entered service and when replaced all stocks were sea dumped ??? Maybe I have been misinformed ?
Thanks
Chris

Hello Chris 42 RQ & SirNotappearinginthisfilm,

The projectile looks like Shot, A.P.D.S/T 17 PDR and 77MM CDN MkI

Quatermass.

Nomenclature

Hi Quatermass and thanks for the input.

The reason I ask is that my Projectile is stamped;-

17 Pdr & 77 MM A.P.P.S.

The only info I ever found about it was a sketch with description including a service number (British Army) and it was described as Armour Piercing Potted Sabot !

I realise that it is only a description, but the Projectile is not a normal Discarding Sabot round as most people think of them with "petals" that fly off on firing, this one is a single "Pot" that is dragged back by the air resistance on exiting the barrel.

Hello Chris,

Yes its a 'Pot' sabot, similar to the types used in the 20 PR.

I wonder if the early issues were marked A.P.P.S. before returning to the A.P.D.S nomenclature?

I've never seen a 17 PR pot sabot in the 'flesh', I'd love to have one!

Quatermass

Attachments

• BOCN 17pdr apds (can) mk1.jpg
    BOCN 17pdr apds (can) mk1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 17
  • BOCN 20 PDR Pot Sabot.jpg
    BOCN 20 PDR Pot Sabot.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 35
17 Pdr "Pot" sabot.

Well it looks like SirNotappearinginthisfilm has one !

And I am sorry to say that mine is spoken for when it is time for it to go !

My particular one is stamped:-
APPS 17 Pdr & 77 MM X4712300C-DA EXP / 1 3-9-48 4708 3601.

All component items are fully stamped up with the same numbers.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

And as for the APDS description being changed at a later date, I think you may well be right !

Last edited:
My particular one is stamped:-
APPS 17 Pdr & 77 MM X4712300C-DA EXP / 1 3-9-48 4708 3601.

All component items are fully stamped up with the same numbers.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

And as for the APDS description being changed at a later date, I think you may well be right ![/quote]

Hello Chris & Quartermass. Thanks for all the information in your posts. The pot on this one is marked; APDS/T QF 17PR&77MM CDN MK1 A in a C 4 . It is also crudely stamped; EMPTY / 7-7-54. The AP core is marked; C.C.M. (Canadian Cycle Manufacturers) and there is a broad arrow. I can do you some better photographs if you need any. Cheers! Rob