What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B52 tail gun unit Cal. 50 X 4

Tony,

I think it may be more of a record keeping problem. I researched this and found only 3 for sure and they were brought down by the B-52D model and all three were Mig-21's.

V40 ,
You are absolutely right . 3 Migs splashed total . One of the 3 B-52 D's is on display at the USAF academy in Colorado Springs Co. . It even has a nice big red star painted just under the pilots windscreen . I think it was an airman 1st class that shot 1 down from that particular plane . My Dad was a tail gunner for 24 yrs on B- 52's . He got his 5000 hr pin all flyin backwards . :)

V40 ,
You are absolutely right . 3 Migs splashed total . One of the 3 B-52 D's is on display at the USAF academy in Colorado Springs Co. . It even has a nice big red star painted just under the pilots windscreen . I think it was an airman 1st class that shot 1 down from that particular plane . My Dad was a tail gunner for 24 yrs on B- 52's . He got his 5000 hr pin all flyin backwards . :)

I bet he has some stories to tell. Was he in during the Vietnam War?

I bet he has some stories to tell. Was he in during the Vietnam War?

V/40
I thought about it and maybe it was 2 splashes w/ 3 unconfirmed ? ? I know He did 2 tours in Vietnam out of Guam and out of Thiland . Flew a number of missions bombing during the siege of Khe Sahn - operation Niagra ? I think it was called . I have on my wall a picture of him standing in front of a rack of bombs loaded on the pylon under the wing just before his crew unloaded at Khe Sanh . Had a sam fired at his cell a few times but said the wild weasels took care of that .Mostly he pulled alot of nuclear alert duty flying chrome dome missions . He told me once over Greenland , the oxygen system went out in the tail gunners compartment , almost fell asleep back there in the tail , luckily woke up and caught it . Crawled through the bomb bay over the the bombs with a small oxygen bottle while the navigator had his loaded pistol out and at the ready due to the 2 man rule for nuclear weapons . Sorry V/40 for the long winded response and maybe mis spellings , I'm just pretty pround of my old Dad , he used to bring home his flight lunches for me -- I loved the chiclets gum the best !

Last edited:
V/40
I thought about it and maybe it was 2 splashes w/ 3 unconfirmed ? ? I know He did 2 tours in Vietnam out of Guam and out of Thiland . Flew a number of missions bombing during the siege of Khe Sahn - operation Niagra ? I think it was called . I have on my wall a picture of him standing in front of a rack of bombs loaded on the pylon under the wing just before his crew unloaded at Khe Sanh . Had a sam fired at his cell a few times but said the wild weasels took care of that .Mostly he pulled alot of nuclear alert duty flying chrome dome missions . He told me once over Greenland , the oxygen system went out in the tail gunners compartment , almost fell asleep back there in the tail , luckily woke up and caught it . Crawled through the bomb bay over the the bombs with a small oxygen bottle while the navigator had his loaded pistol out and at the ready due to the 2 man rule for nuclear weapons . Sorry V/40 for the long winded response and maybe mis spellings , I'm just pretty pround of my old Dad , he used to bring home his flight lunches for me -- I loved the chiclets gum the best !

I use to get a lot of those "In-Flight" C-rations. Not too much different than regular "C's" back then. Only difference was there were no "beans" in the cans. Did your Dad ever take any pictures back there of the guns?