What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bad markings on grenade body.

Darrol

Premium Member
i have had this grenade for a couple of years now and was wondering why the yellow is so messy .the greens original and the yellow is what i think is the right paint .if it was a repaint the yellow would be neater .is there any more out there with poor markings like this? thanks .Darrol.:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

Attachments

• DSC04956.jpg
    DSC04956.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC04954.jpg
    DSC04954.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC04955.jpg
    DSC04955.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 158
i have had this grenade for a couple of years now and was wondering why the yellow is so messy .the greens original and the yellow is what i think is the right paint .if it was a repaint the yellow would be neater .is there any more out there with poor markings like this? thanks .Darrol.:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

On my L28A1, the yellow markings are in the same messy condition.
The white stenceling is done a bit more carefull.
I do believe the markings are original.

Geert.

Attachments

• 100_3087.jpg
    100_3087.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_3090.JPG
    100_3090.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 59
hi .i was refuring to the body itself .propper messy .have a close look at the middle pic .thanks Darrol.

hi darrol. i think it is a very poor attempt at a re paint. the yellow band should be around the top and the writing would be clear and easy to read. heres a few examples for you.
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• l2a2grenade_2.jpg
    l2a2grenade_2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Page4L2A2.jpg
    Page4L2A2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 79
  • Page4L2TrialDrill.jpg
    Page4L2TrialDrill.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Page4L3A2.jpg
    Page4L3A2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 40
hi darrol. i think it is a very poor attempt at a re paint. the yellow band should be around the top and the writing would be clear and easy to read. heres a few examples for you.
cheers, paul.
hi . i thought the same at first . but the green isnt a repaint and the yellow markings are unlike any other ive seen on this type .they resemble other markings ive seen onother things.looks like a failed stencil of some kind.did they ever produce plain green bodys? thanks Darrol.

Last edited:
Hi, A lot of the surplus bodies were sold off to the collectors market when the Brits stopped using the L2's. Cheers

Attachments

• L2 advert.jpg
    L2 advert.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 80
I think I have to agree that it is a poor attempt of a repaint. I have seen loads of poorly marked levers in yellow, but all bodies hae been clear stencilling with the band higher up and thinner. I had an L2 in plain green. I'd imagine it was like your one but someone had a go at it.

Thanks guys .looks like ive got some stripping to do .funny enough 16 is not far of what i paid a couple of years back with a couple of 40мм practice grenades thrown in ..think the dealer wanted rid .now to find some green paint the same . .now the problem starts :) .thank you .Darrol.

Hi Darrol, This is obviously a piece of question which should be shipped to me immediately!! Dano

Last edited:
hi . you dont want it . its hidious:ahhhhh:
I like hidious things. I'll have it!
Just out of curiosity, is it filled to its correct weight with anything or completely empty. Also, are you able to remove the bottom cap and is there a frag coil inside?

its has some weight to it and i havent taken the bottom off . . didnt want to damage it any more than the horrid yellow paint:heeeelllllooooo:

ive managed to strip the yellow off and keep 98% of its original green paint . looks a hell of a lot better . dont you think:tinysmile_grin_t:

Attachments

• DSC04958.jpg
    DSC04958.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 57
thats better . are you going to put the markings back on? you may still be able to get yellow rub on letraset letters. which is how i did mine years ago.
cheers, paul.

hi .more than likely put markings on ..will need a clear picture to copy from.. might paint the letters by hand though or airbrush .i will have to mix the right shade yellow.that greens bloody good paint . .it withstood nitromores paint stripper .was going to strip it all then the yellow came off . .really pleased :wink:.thanks . . Darrol.

On my L28A1, the yellow markings are in the same messy condition.
The white stenceling is done a bit more carefull.
I do believe the markings are original.

Geert.

I know this is an old post but can anyone tell me why some levers on the L2 series grenades have a hole punched in the end? Also does anyone know what font was used for stencilling? I have tried to match it with ones on my PC but cant find the same style.
Cheers
Gary