What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bag of No. 69 Grenade Parts and Mystery Items

GregN

Hi all I picked this bag of No.69 Grenade and parts up from a local picker. I bought the lot as there are some useful bits that I can use now and in the future. There are several items that I have no idea what they are or what they are used for. I'm hoping that those members with training can fill me in as to what they are and what they were used for. I've put numbers on each item in the first image so that I can keep track of what each item is. OOPs.ooks like the numbering didn't make it to the final (first) image. All items are inert.

1. 3 inch mortar fuze cap that says "Remove Before Firing"
2. Instructional No.69 grenade -fuze made by DCL/C, dated 10/43
3. 247 Always Fuze cap, made by GE/C, marked 6/44
4. Mechanical Pull Fuze, marked MDI? 13 - spring loaded - Mystery
5. Another type of time fuze with white metal strip - Mystery
6. UK contact Mine Fuze No.3
7. 247 Always Fuze with a screw-on metal fitting, made by DCL/C, dated 4/44 - Mystery
8. 247 Always Fuze, marked 247 II, GE/C, 973 Cr/C 2/45
9. 50 thin metal screens - no idea what their use is - Mystery
10. Thin web belt with friction fitting, about 2 feet long
11. 2 spare 247 arming tapes

Thanks in advance in helping solve my mystery items.

Greg

Attachments

• No69a.jpg
    No69a.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 133
  • No69b.jpg
    No69b.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 72
  • No69c.jpg
    No69c.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 71
  • No69d.jpg
    No69d.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 62
  • No69e.jpg
    No69e.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 54
  • No69f.jpg
    No69f.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 49
  • No69h.jpg
    No69h.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 46
  • No69i.jpg
    No69i.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 50
Hi Greg Nice......... The 69 would look good in my collection :) The M1 delay firing device is US, but is missing the upper half. The 247 fuze in the metal top is off a No. 77 grenade. No idea what the metal screens are for.........

The rest you know........ cheers Darryl

Thanks guys, you are FAST! Darryl, as always I'll put some of this stuff aside for you to look at, at the 2-day show. :).

The thin metal screens are for cleaning rifle barrels and I think there is a brit or canadian mine fuse on the left with the brass sheer pin

The metal gauze or screens look like they are for cleaning the barrel and gas parts for a Bren gun. The cap for the 3inch mortar looks like a 2inch mortar cap. Apart from that a very nice find, I wish I could pick up items like that, well done.

Thanks guys for the IDs on all these items. I don't know anything about the No. 77 grenade so it's off to my ordnance library and Google to find out more!

Greg

Thanks guys for the IDs on all these items. I don't know anything about the No. 77 grenade so it's off to my ordnance library and Google to find out more!

Greg
I could send you the top missing copper tube part on the M1 delay switch, if you wish.

Greg,

As I sure you're aware the GE is General Electric, Canada.

The DCL/C is Duplate Canada Limited of Oshawa, Ontario or to give it its full name The Duplate Safety Glass Company of Canada Ltd.

TimG

Thanks Tim, the GE I suspected but didn't know about DCL. How many Canadian manufactures are there for the No. 69 and the 247 fuze?

Greg

Hi All, I wanted to thank publically Anders for sending me out a replacement brass tube to make my time pencil look complete. It was a very generous gesture and I look forward to reciprocating in the future. Thanks again Anders!

Attachments

• 1-20151005_100653.jpg
    1-20151005_100653.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 27