What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball of 12.7 mm

SRG-66

Hello!

Perhaps you can identify the ball after the drawing. Photos do not ...
Caliber of 12.7 mm. Such penetration of the ball is 3 /
Manufacturer in Canada meet.

What is this for the bullet.

If I put the question in the wrong section, please move in the right ..

Thank you!DSCN7553.jpg

Hi SRG-66,could you give some more information and measurements and I am sure someone would be able to answer your questions,
Regards,Don,

Hello!

Perhaps you can identify the ball after the drawing. Photos do not ...
Caliber of 12.7 mm. Such penetration of the ball is 3 /
Manufacturer in Canada meet.

What is this for the bullet.

If I put the question in the wrong section, please move in the right ..

Thank you!View attachment 58925

Hi SRG-66,
some questions first I'm afraid! what is the case lengh as I can not see any reference to it being 99mm in your original discription,what is the meaning of "penetration of ball is 3/"?, what does the triangle on the projectile represent in your drawing? and on the headstamp as well as IVI (you are correct with Canada) is there a date and NATO symbol (+)?

Cheers
Tony

Hi SRG-66,
some questions first I'm afraid! what is the case lengh as I can not see any reference to it being 99mm in your original discription,what is the meaning of "penetration of ball is 3/"?, what does the triangle on the projectile represent in your drawing? and on the headstamp as well as IVI (you are correct with Canada) is there a date and NATO symbol (+)?

Cheers
Tony

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/81275-Ball-of-12.7-mm
Hi smle2009

My english is not so good , i use GOOGLE translate ! :tinysmile_angry_t:
about ,, "penetration of ball is 3/"... means ... the ball has 3 triangular depressions
is there a date and NATO symbol (+)? .... no simbol (+) ... date ... will ask

And this has 3 of these triangular indentations in it?
I assume they are 120 degrees appart?
Interesting the very solid & good condition - possibly experimental & fired into ballistic putty/gel?
What`s the weight?
I know I have seen larger caliber rounds with indentations in like this but not this small.

And this has 3 of these triangular indentations in it?
I assume they are 120 degrees appart?
Interesting the very solid & good condition - possibly experimental & fired into ballistic putty/gel?
What`s the weight?
I know I have seen larger caliber rounds with indentations in like this but not this small.

Yes, these three dents are the same.
On the degrees do not know, but they are the same distance.
Shot does not gel.
Weight ... I do not know. Is it important? If so .. do it.
Or the 12.7 mm size is small? :wink:

12.7 is small (in ordnance terms) - but still wouldn`t want to be on the recieving end!
The condition for a fired round looks ttoo good for it to be a range fired one. It looks like it has hit something soft & pliable that it can penetrate without deforming
like they use on CSI & forensic labs.
Weight would be interesting factor/info

12.7 is small (in ordnance terms) - but still wouldn`t want to be on the recieving end!
The condition for a fired round looks ttoo good for it to be a range fired one. It looks like it has hit something soft & pliable that it can penetrate without deforming
like they use on CSI & forensic labs.
Weight would be interesting factor/info

CSI Miami :wink: Joke....
OK .. Give a couple of days ... will weigh

I sent an email to my buddy at IVI... I will see what he says...

Personally I have not seen any projectiles from IVI in that configuration... not saying I have seen all that IVI has to offer but there is nothing in the literature that I have..

That's a new one to me too,only bullets I have seen like this are on some drill rounds but obviously not in this case(pun intended) as it has been fired..........

Tony

Headstamp is I V I !

............So probably a mismatched case and projectile as said above,the projectile has been fired so there is no sure way of telling if it is from that case.........unless of course as Hicky says it was fired into ballistic gel ect,would be interesting to know where you got it from SRG-66

Cheers
Tony

............So probably a mismatched case and projectile as said above,the projectile has been fired so there is no sure way of telling if it is from that case.........unless of course as Hicky says it was fired into ballistic gel ect,would be interesting to know where you got it from SRG-66

Cheers
Tony

It is not always possible to obtain the necessary images. Unfortunately ....
Shell she had marked I, V, I, ... year 09

Variation of the gel, ... should not be examined. Also, sand and snow shot here even retain such status. If you want I can put 5:56mm and 7.62mm attacking the ball in the snow ... as it looks.

Sincerely
SRG-66