What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ballistic tip 338 Lapua Magnum

xrtaf

Hi Everyone,
Would like some history on 2 338LM i have.
Both have ballistic tips and strangely both have no headstamp.
There is very faintly printed on the cases 338LM.
Both came in the same box.
Thanks,
Terry.
DSCN4794.jpgDSCN4795.jpgDSCN4796.jpg

The 338 LM, also called 8.58x71mm, originated as an experimental sniper cartridge. The first brass was made by necking down basic 416 Rigby brass so some of the early rounds had no headstamp. Those same early cartridges used Hornady bullets which could have been ballistic tips.

As I said, it's only a guess.

Hi chaps....maybe I'm having a blonde moment,but what is unusual about these rounds?,I thought a lot of hunting cartridges had tips on the bullets and Buchsenpatronen is 'bush(hunting) cartridge'

Cheers
Tony

Hi Blondie,
Bush is the literal translation,however,Buchsenpatronen refers to rifle cartridge.
Thanks Tony,
Terry

The 338 LM, also called 8.58x71mm, originated as an experimental sniper cartridge.

As I said, it's only a guess.

Ray, I do not know where this comes from but the metric designation used throughout the western militaries and police sevices and even Russia is 8.6x70.

You may check the Lapua site for reference.

Hi chaps....maybe I'm having a blonde moment,but what is unusual about these rounds?,I thought a lot of hunting cartridges had tips on the bullets and Buchsenpatronen is 'bush(hunting) cartridge'

Cheers
Tony

I am with you there, Tony.

I think these are nothing more than ordinary sporting rounds with typical plastic tipped bullets from Hornady or similar.

I can't remember what "WR" stands for, but they are a German niche manufacturer of sporting ammo and I can see them using unheadstamped cases, especially if they are bought in.

Regards
TonyE

Hi Blondie,
Bush is the literal translation,however,Buchsenpatronen refers to rifle cartridge.
Thanks Tony,
Terry

Hi Terry, I thought Gewehr Patronen are rifle cartridges?.....Blondie...nice one mate :wink:

Cheers
Tony

Thanks, I could not remember their name (Commercial ammo not my forte!)

Cheers
TonyE

Thank-you all for your help.
It would seem that without the box,the rounds fit nicely in the military sniper development programme,as i was told on acquiring these rounds,however as they were supplied with the original box,they are probably just hunting rounds.
Just 2 questions i cant get out of my head(or understand),if Wolfgang Romney is manufacturing these rounds(or reloading)why is he not advertising with a headstamp,and why the 338LM printed on the case.
Thanks,
Terry

Last edited:
I thought all rounds sold commercially in Germany had to have the calibre stamped on the side?

As to why there is no headstamp I do not know.

Regards
TonyE

Tony,is that all ex military/military calibres that have to stamped or everything now?

Cheers
Tony

According to CIP standards SAA has to bear the caliber and the manufacturer in order to be able to be sold commercially. Means all surplus ammo from where ever it comes from has to be certified by the proof houses and if passed all rounds have to be remarked with the caliber and then the dealer's/company's name wich got the ammo certified. This is the reason why in Germany nobody is selling tiny lots of surplus ammo (usually the most interesting) as certification and paperwork do prohibit to do this with small amounts (as costs are same as with a 100 million lot).
So all such ammo is disosed of when in country or just does not get imported at all.

This is (was?) the nice thing in the US were it seem that almost any surplus qty. can be imprted in any quantity including all those old and half full crates filled with stuff from the last 100+ years...

Thanks for clarifying that. These .338 are unheadstamped so therefore they needed the calibre stamped on the case.

Regards
TonyE