What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

battlefield simulator 1

smle2009

Hi all,
turned up these simulators and looking for any info on them,the first is 'bottle'
shaped,plastic and came with storage tube(too far gone to save) with the attached label

Tony

Attachments

• P2090001.JPG
    P2090001.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 24
  • P2090002.JPG
    P2090002.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 18
  • P2090003.JPG
    P2090003.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 17
  • P2090004.JPG
    P2090004.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 22
HI
TONY.
I REMEMBER DOING MY NBC TRAINING IN THE TA AND THESE WERE FIRED UP INTO THE AIR TO SIMULATE A CHEMICAL ATTACK. DROPLETS OF LIQUID WOULD RAIN DOWN ON TO YOU CHANGING THE COLOUR OF YOUR DETECTOR PAPER ON YOUR SUITS.
i DONT KNOW HOW THEY WERE LAUNCHED THOUGH.
CHEERS, PAUL.

This is a SPAL. It came packed as an inert item and wasn't actually energetic until the ejection charge was added. Both issued as separate components. The liquid agent was mixed and poured into the bottle prior to functioning.

Basic functioning is: an electric current is applied to a squib which ignites an ejection charge. The ejection charge throws the bottle into the air and ignites a delay in the burster tube. After the delay times out the burster tube functions and shatters the bottle spreading the training agent onto the unsuspecting troops below.

Hope this helps.

I understand that in the 1980s one small Ordnance TA unit from London (England) was chastised for using SPALs filled with petrol on a night exercise.

The explosive part was `Actuating Charge L1A1' and worked as the other posts have already described. I don't remember to what height it was supposed to project the SPAL.