What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bayonet and sheath

gothica7

Premium Member
Hi all,

i have just been given this bayo and its sheath. Does any expert on the forum have any ideas about it?
It looks pretty old, has the numbers 03862 on the pommell. I was told it was taken from an Argentinian soldier during the Falklands conflict but it looks much older.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Andy

Attachments

• Picture232.jpg
    Picture232.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Picture234.jpg
    Picture234.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 31
Hi Andy,

That scabbard looks like a german K98,but there have been copies out for years.
Please have a look at the `ball` at the bottom to see if there are any stamps in the metal?

cheers

waff

Hi Waff,
yes there are some markings but they are too faint for me to make out. One of my mates thinks the bayo looks 'Spanish'. Dosnt know what type other than it has the look.
If the scabbard is from a K98, perhaps the bayo is from the Spanish Civil war?
Thanks.

Andy

Its a trial bayonet for the British FN-FAL. It has a built in flash hider and was designated X2E1 bayonet and the X1E1 scabbard. It was later changed to the modern L1A1 bayonet because of the flash hider being put on the barrel. It would date back to the mid to late '50's.

Check out pg. 140 "Bayonets - an illustrated history" by Martin J. Brayley

http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/SLR.htm

Last edited:
Thanks Missing,

a very helpful link. Maybe i have something unusual after all.
Best wishes.

Andy

bayonet

Its a trial bayonet for the British FN-FAL. It has a built in flash hider and was designated X2E1 bayonet and the X1E1 scabbard. It was later changed to the modern L1A1 bayonet because of the flash hider being put on the barrel. It would date back to the mid to late '50's.

Check out pg. 140 "Bayonets - an illustrated history" by Martin J. Brayley

http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/SLR.htm

I beg to disagree. You will note that the X2E1 British bayonet had wood grips.

What you have is a standard FAL bayonet (of which the X2E1 was a copy) probably made in Argentina or possibly FN. The reason it looks old is because most of the Argentine small arms that came back from the Falklands were fairly battered about.

Regards
TonyE

I beg to disagree. You will note that the X2E1 British bayonet had wood grips.

What you have is a standard FAL bayonet (of which the X2E1 was a copy) probably made in Argentina or possibly FN. The reason it looks old is because most of the Argentine small arms that came back from the Falklands were fairly battered about.

Regards
TonyE

See... this is why we have a forum....

to amend what was said earlier and to expand on TonyE's post.....

Argentina had a modified bayonet called the FN FAL Type A (1953) that was adopted from the British version....

Hope that clears things up. :bigsmile:

Thanks TonyE for the correction. Should have read a little more!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

it just confirms that it came from the Falklands as my mate informed me.Nice to know what it is.

Andy