What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Belgian percussion fuze 1893 model?

Darkman

My mate Ron has this unusual small percussion fuze.
Basic information we can find on it suggests it is a Belgian "93" fuze.

Would anyone have more information on it, or a decent drawing so we can see how it operates?

The tapered section of the nose cap does not appear to unscrew, or perhaps it is just seized, but no thread is obvious.
It is assumed that the detonator pellet and needle were contained within the tapered nose section, as it has 3small flash holes in the bottom.

But what we can't work out is the purpose of the keyed "stirrups" in the bottom section. These are slightly curved to give some pressure on the tapered nose section; but the nose section screws home to a stop and cannot move, so we don't see the point of this feature.

Any information appreciated.

Cheers, Graeme

Attachments

• P1050754a.jpg
    P1050754a.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 44
  • P1050752a.jpg
    P1050752a.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 37
  • P1050755a.jpg
    P1050755a.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 42
  • P1050757a.jpg
    P1050757a.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 30
  • P1050758a.jpg
    P1050758a.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 27
  • P1050764a.jpg
    P1050764a.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 22
Hello,

Example of a German Grz c/80

German C80.jpg

Example of a Belgian fuze (same as Grzc/80 with EP marking)

Belgian Fuze.jpgBelgian Fuze 2.JPG

Thanks Minenaz, perhaps the fuze is the German type as it looks more like that one and doesn't have the small screw in the top or "EP" marked.
I think I can see how it operates. The tapered section contains the spike and sets forward on impact to pierce the detonator pellet in the nose cap. On Ron's fuze impact has jammed the tapered bit onto the nose cap - these parts should just pull apart. The tapered section rests in the stirrups to give some resistance to movement, but I don't see how any safety is achieved. There is nothing (other than a little stirrup resistance) to stop the tapered spike moving forward onto the detonator.