What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Besa head

tomsk

Premium Member
hey you guys
can anybody id this bullet for me i know its a 15mm besa but the others ive got have only 2 sets of twin driving bands this has got 2 sets of twin bands and a single its 67mm long.
ive added a picture to make id easier.
thanks lads.

tomsk

Attachments

• besa.jpg
    besa.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 68
mmm looks like an 'internal' bullet that was surrounded by a jacket maybe?
:eek:oh:

simular to the bullet third from left..
sorry for not helping you further
I'm sure someone will help out!!
18pounder

EDIT
ive looked at your picture more closely and it doesnt look anything like the image ive posted sorry mate!!
will have to study pictures more!!

Attachments

• besa bullet.jpg
    besa bullet.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:
Just been to check mine & whilst it is unfortunately a fired bullet it too is a double twin bad one.

15mm BESA

It is not British service, neither does it look like any British experimental I have seen. It may be Czech or even German. Is it a ball round? It is unusual for a BESA not to be boat tailed. Other than that I cannot help.

One thing though. Can we say bullet or projectile, not "head"? The "head" of a cartridge is the bit with the Headstamp!

Sorry, rant over!

Regards
TonyE

Heads

I may be a lone voice, but I will carry on my crusade, you lot of philistines!

Cheers
TonyE

I may be a lone voice, but I will carry on my crusade, you lot of philistines!

Cheers
TonyE

oooooo hark at her!!
she's got it on her now!!
:xd:

te he
you made a good point mate

Tony,

I totally agree with you. But, why is the neck of the case so called? as it is at the opposite end of the case to the head, it really should be known as the foot or similar.

Tim

Last edited:
Neck

No idea Tim, other than if a case has a shoulder, then the section above it must be the neck!

Regards
TonyE

As for you 18 Pounder...Pah!

Tony,

But this strange beast has a head then shoulders (there's a good few of those about) followed by a neck.

Tim

Possible Drill ?

Could this be a "BESA" projectile for a "Drill" round as the projectiles used for "Drill" rounds usually have an extra method of securing the projectile to the case for longevity of use.

My pennies worth anyway,

projectile

sorry about the wrong wording lads it seemed i nearly caused a fight between you purists.
ive got quite a projectile ache now i think i have to take some asprin.
anyway i think the projectile is AP and thanks for the info

regards

tomsk