What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to get a book shipped from Germany to the U.S.

HAZORD

Premium Member
I've been in contact with Franz Petter regarding purchasing a copy of his book "Munition fur Deutsche Flieger Bordwaffen bis 1945". He is quoting the book at 160 euro, but is telling me that in addition, shipping from Germany to the U.S. is slow (two months) and costly (60 euro), due to the chinese virus (my words).

He suggested that if I had a friend that flew back and forth from Europe to the U.S., that my friend could carry it. I don't have such a friend.

Can anyone suggest a faster and cheaper method, like maybe going through France or the UK, or something else?

It's screwed up everywhere. Historically, items I've shipped overseas took 10 days to 2 weeks. I posted a package to Australia. On Aug 3. It just left Atlanta after going through Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Somewhat discombobulated, but at least it finally made it on an int'l. flight. Expecting similar dicking around once it gets to Australia. We'll see. Oh, and it cost $34 for a little over 4oz. in a padded envelope. RIDICULOUS!!!! So, in answer to your question, no.

I don’t know the weight and size of the book, but it may be worthwhile looking at using DHL or UPS, not the postal services. Quotes can be got online.

I sent a 0.8kg package from UK to USA by UPS in July. It took two days (sent 6th, delivered in WA 8th) and cost slightly over £20.

I have sent to South Africa by UPS and delivery is less than one week.

I have received from South Africa by DHL in less than one week.

Franz Petter's book is a BIG book and 60 euros for shipping doesn't seem too expensive to me, I am away from home, but if I remember rightly it must weigh well over 2kg. Plus you have to keep in mind, that somehow, sending from Europe to the US cost usually more than from the US to Europe! I suppose it's because of taxes over here.
Still, a fabulous book worth every penny.

I wasn't necessarily balking at the 60 euros, it was more the 2-3 month time frame. Ill have him check on UPS.

I wasn't necessarily balking at the 60 euros, it was more the 2-3 month time frame. Ill have him check on UPS.

Hi Hazord, I didn't mean anything bad when saying the 60 euros were worth it, sorry, and I agree 2-3 months is a very long wait. As Reccetrooper suggested it, I would look into shipping it via UPS, Fedex, or DHL (I know in Germany they use DHL a lot), and have it shipped the cheapest rate possible, obviously asking for a quote first, but you shouldn't be too far from the 60 euros and it will only take days (weeks?) instead of months. I am pretty sure you can check prices online.

Have it at least insured and tracked - if it never arrives at least your covered (Yes I would also prefer the item of course).

Yes DHL is very good - I had a delivery from China back in April and it took about a week - another item 2-3 mths.

i am sending a 40 feet container to the US in 4 weeks, full with INERTS and Parts kits the book can go in the container. regards Ben

Thanks Ben, that is very generous of you. I will think about it compared to DHL, UPS, and FeEx.

Last edited: