What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest bomb you've ever seen

The BLU-82 bombs were definitely used in both Vietnam and the first Gulf war. The photo you show with vietnamese writing appears to be taken in Vietnam. There are threads here on BOCN that discuss this bomb, but I doubt if you will find the subcontractor that made the bodies. My metallurgy professor that I had in college is the one who designed the explosive mix, which was Ammonium Nitrate and Aluminum powder.

They were used in Vietnam to clear helicopter landing areas in the jungle. In the Gulf war they were used to shock the enemy and were called "hamburger" bombs. The U.S. emen made propaganda leaflets that said "We dropped a hamburger bomb here today. We will be back tomorrow."

One discussion:http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...-M1A1-(M1E1)(36-inch)-Comp?highlight=skycrane

There is some stuff on youtube also. I know the history channel included the BLU-82 inone of their videos on bombs.

Last edited:
There is a GBU-43/B, Massive Ordnance Airburst Bomb, or at least a very good mock-up, on display outside of the USAF Armament Museum, just south of Eglin AFB in Florida. It is really interesting, and of course, accessible to any and all tourists. The entire museum is free, although there is the opportunity to make donations. I would recommend this museum to anyone interested in the air ordnance subject. And, of course, there are aircraft on display also, for the "pilot-types" among us.

If I recall it right they were still used in Afghanistan and got phased out right after.

Thats not Big this is BIG.

This bomb is 25 feet 9 inches tall, weighed 22,000, British Lbs.

REgards John

Attachments

• Grandslam Lodge Hill.jpg
    Grandslam Lodge Hill.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 55
Not anymore its not. Aberdeen Museum is gone.

Actually no, Bush diverted the new museum's money for Iraq. Why did we go there again??

Dragontooth - that was the second reason. the first was because they supported terrorism. When that fell through it went to the WMDs. After that didn't pan out it was to "instill regime change", on behalf of the Iraqi people. And we still haven't been thanked yet.

Aberdeen was packed up for the move, new buidlings were to be built, etc, then the funding was lost. As I understand it, things are currently in limbo. Once - if - they ever get their heads out of their butts it will be scheduled for funding in some future fiscal year. After that year arrives they will be funded - to start planning again for construction, etc. Don't make plans for next summer.

Jeff, you're absolutely right! i supported the war and still believe it was a good choice for the Iraqi people to get rid of Saddam. Arabs rarely thank America for her contributions and spilled blood.

Dragontooth - that was the second reason. the first was because they supported terrorism. When that fell through it went to the WMDs. After that didn't pan out it was to "instill regime change", on behalf of the Iraqi people. And we still haven't been thanked yet.

Aberdeen was packed up for the move, new buidlings were to be built, etc, then the funding was lost. As I understand it, things are currently in limbo. Once - if - they ever get their heads out of their butts it will be scheduled for funding in some future fiscal year. After that year arrives they will be funded - to start planning again for construction, etc. Don't make plans for next summer.

Arabs rarely thank America for her contributions and spilled blood.
Our spilled blood, or theirs? I think you missed the sarcasm there. The Iraqi people never got a chance to "choose" anything, we chose for them. Who should we "help" next?