What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blast in Norfolk

@FZG76

What is the problem that is mentioned regarding water? - Mostly likely water jet cutting which would generate copious quantities of waste water.

TimG

Thank you for the confirmation on the use of water jet cutting. I think it's with the German ANT system, "MACE".
It would be very interesting to have pictures!!

I was told at the weekend that they were burning out the explosive with the fuze and gaine in place. Whatever happened to steaming?

TNT -as most explosives- is found to poisonous and carcinogenic. Therefore steaming is not done anymore.

If everyone in 500 metres away behind a cordon where is the risk? Up close later they could always wear a hazmat suit. Sometimes the old ways may be the best.

Steaming can work in a controlled environment, but logistically it is a real pain in the butt. Maintenance of the equipment, setup in the field, large quantity of waste generated and the problems that presents - all push away from its use. I don't know if anyone still maintains the equipment. I haven't seen any information considered trustworthy on the incident (formal release rather than news report) and don't know what details are correct, but doing a burn-out procedure with a fuze and booster in place would generally indicate that you are ok with a detonation and just hope to reduce the explosive quantity a bit before it goes. A onetime release of toxic smoke in an emergency situation is much easier to deal with that the melted and re-solidified explosive, plus controlling the run-off of your waste stream generated by all of the water. Some of the demil sites use water jet, and their waste stream control procedures are substantial. Carrying that over to a field location in peacetime make you think twice about alternatives.