What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bocn 2010

Charlie

Staff member
Premium Member
Ok chaps, I will host a BOCN get together / ordnance fair in 2010 unless BOCN don’t want to put their name with it then it will be an ordnance fair or something! I was thinking for the first year to have free stalls, free camping and free to get in to get it off the ground.

First of all, before any program is thought about, we need a date. My thinking was towards the end of the summer around say end of August as the summers seem to be getting later in the year. Also, 1 day or two days?

Don’t worry chaps there is a social club with beer about 100 meters away in the next field :tinysmile_cry_t2: with a convenient gate in the hedge that appeared overnight last year :xd:

Put your two bobs worth in?

Charlie

New Dawn!

Personally Charlie I think its a great idea. It would be fine if it were ordnance only but if there was a chance that it could become a rival to Beltring, then even better. The organisers have just got too greedy with gate prices and this ultimately results in fewer people coming through the door. I guess those of us who are die hards will also go no matter what, but it is important that new blood gains an interest in Militaria and if the Mum's and Dad's don't bring the youngsters in for a day out it will never happen.

So count me in!

BD :top:

Sounds like a great idea Charlie.
Could be worth checking with the local Council etc. - I remember a few years ago there used to be a good arms fair in Gloucester, then someone got funny about it and they weren't allowed to sell shells any more!!
Late summer sounds good.
Dave.

Charlie
Have you got the Land sorted?
Could have a word with a mate that owns land he uses for skirmishing??
I'm thinking...ready made sand bagged dugouts and trenches for displays/stalls maybe??
18pondering

Ok,

Its a go then :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Date is the next thing as if we can fix it before Beltering I can leaflet / invite all the ordnance stalls there.

How about the last weekend in August (thats the 28-29th) can anyone think if it would be a clash with anyother event?

C.

Hi. Charlie.
What a good idea, Im all for it.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
And it wont be so far to go for me as Beltring is.
Cheers, Paul.

Hi Charlie

Id be up for it - but that weekend being a Bank Holiday will probably clash with other events also traffic/travelling would be a pain due to our crap roads & rubbish drivers!
Also think making it a militaria fair as well as just all about ordnance would open it up to more sellers & buyers as well as of more interest to joe public. Also inviting some of the military charities would be good (Help for Heroes, local cadets etc?)
Like the idea of possibly setting up trenches/bunkers.
More than willing to come early to help set up if required.
There thats my two bobs worth!

Hi Hicky, thanks for the offer to help and i didn't realise that was a bank holiday, good old useless Microsoft outlook lol. Ok, how about first weekend in September? The weather is usually ok then isn’t it? Ye, it could be open to militaria stalls, but are we then in the realms of a full blown event needing a committee and separate insurance etc... (not that thats a problem!)

Hello charlie,,just got home from my Hols,so not had much time to think about it but it sounds a great idea ,i guess like you say we would have to look into Public Liability Insurance etc ,and liasing with local councils ,police etc , to make sure everything is above board and runs smoothly..i will ask bolo to contact you

Hi Charlie
Oops forgot about all that rubbis & hoops you need to jump through these days!
If all that too much then what about all chipping in & hiring a village hall or sports club (with a bar) for this? I think then that their (the halls) own insurance covers these sorts of things - also then weather not an issue.

Yo Spot, hope you had good hols?

I believe I'm covered under the farm insurance for 10 public liability, i'll have to check. I was a councillor up until last year and as it is on private property and legal they have no say in the matter except highways because your meant to get authority for the signs but we never do, by the time they get a complaint or notice the event is over:). Police will be fine with it, already spoken to them and again if it's legal there is no probs and it's not the sort of event you ever get trouble at because of the like minded people that attend.

Changed to red again as it posted it in black!!!

Camping

Looks fine to me only ever done enforced camping, but I'll go for this

John:tinysmile_shy_t:

Hi Charlie.
If you need any printing done (invites, flyers to promote the event etc ) let me know.
we only have a single colour A4 printing press so nothing to fancy.
All free of charge mate.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Cheers, Paul.

Charlie,
If you need a temp bar setting up as well,if you can sort the marquee and a wooden bar carcass then i can sort out the dispense equipment.
After all,i am a beerpump doctor! :)

cheers

waff

I own an 18' x 24' marquee that you can use for the beer tent :D

edit: a picture. It's not small.

army_unknown.jpg

Last edited: