What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BOCN Guess what it is

Northover Projector Cartridge

Northover Projector Cartridge.jpg

In case anyone was wondering.

Sorry, overlapped with yours.

Hello Bonnex,

I read the propellant charge for Northover Projector was made of 5 drams of special powder but what is special powder ? Is it black powder or something else ?

Regards

P0118.jpgnorthover-126bf7c79b3f38f3ab276d411855fade.jpg

Hello Bonnex,

I read the propellant charge for Northover Projector was made of 5 drams of special powder but what is special powder ? Is it black powder or something else ?

Regards

It is Black Powder but I do not know what is special about it. It may be of a size, composition and burn rate that was not normally employed in British service and therefore referred to as 'Special'; but I don't really know. The official handbook just refers to the propellant as Black Powder.

Since there have been no takers for this for several days perhaps someone could post another guess what item.

Norman can we see a bit more of the one you posted please....or perhaps a clue?
Ta.
Dave.

Looks like the dust collection bag on the circular saw I have in my shed.
Is it some sort of grenade........like a gammon?
Dave.

No. It is not an explosive item but it does make use of an ordnance component.

Not a flamethrower. Switch has it. It is a dog drag made from the body and mechanism of an AC Delay. SOE designed and produced. There was an equivalent American OSS version.

Not a flamethrower. Switch has it. It is a dog drag made from the body and mechanism of an AC Delay. SOE designed and produced. There was an equivalent American OSS version.

sorry if im sounding thick..but whats a dog drag

WTF US Dog Drag.JPG

sorry if im sounding thick..but whats a dog drag

Sorry Allan. It is basically a device for masking the trail taken by a human (agent/saboteur etc) in order to defeat dogs being used to track. The ampoule in the drag contains a pretty powerfully smelling substance that over time will impair the dog's ability to follow a human trail. The ampoule is broken and the contents leak into the cloth bag. The evader uses the long lanyard to trail the drag behind him for about a mile before releasing the device and he should be able to continue his journey in the certain knowledge that the dogs will not be able to follow his scent - unless he has got some of the drag chemistry on him in which case he's done for.

The device was worked up in 1942 at (SOE) Station IX and handed over for production to Station XII in 1943. They used reject or ex-trials AC Delay bodies modified by Messrs Drumcraft Ltd. A total of 2,500 were made in the UK. According to John Brunner 1200 Dog Drags were manufactured in the US and 400 British drags supplied to the US. The image above shows the US version in its packing. The one below is British.

The drag is a non-ammunition item.

WTFnov14answer.JPG

Last edited: