What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BOCN members input on Bofors 40mm projectile

Hi all, This here is your basic 40mm Bofors projectile. Now I have seen some awesome re-paints on Bofors projectiles on posts here on BOCN. I am looking for ideas as I want to try my hand on re-doing this into a really fancy looking 40mm. Please give me your ideas as the best one I think that flips my switch, then I will refinish this one in that fashion. Please help out on this as I want to finish this projectile so that it is colorful, original looking and stands out. It is up to you'll....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 296.jpg
    Picture 296.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 126
So Dano, If you want to make a "really fancy looking" color paintjob, are you leaning towards a nice pink poka-dot, or gold or chrome plating, or one of a variety of service round paint schemes?

For service rounds of U.S. manufacture, there are the WWII Navy rounds that are usually seen on the display boards that Rick has mentioned, and there are a number of variations to indicate explosive contents and tracer types. The second grouping would be Army issue rounds for antiaircraft or ground use, and the third would be the current rounds used in the C-130 Spectre Gunship, which are the most colorful, being yellow with red band on the ogive below to indicate High Exposive Incendiary.

To add to that, there are the many varieties of U.K. and Commonwealth projectile paint schemes along with all the other nations that used the 40mm Bofors (Germany, Italy, etc.).

Whatever you go with, I would advise you to de-rust your projo and dummy fuze first, before painting.

I don't know what it is officially called, but they have a paint for cars that changes color as the light changes, or you look at it from a different direction. That could be fun.

soft tail blings n things

I wasn't wanting to go for the Harley gas tank theme, seems I saw some yellow rounds somewhere on a thread in here, (think they were 40mm) with maybe green X's or something like that. I want it to be real yet have that bling thing going. Aw hell I don't know but like I said someone (or two) had a few really beautiful projectiles, and I think they were yellow with some sort of contrasting X's that were just "tits". Wish I could find that thread....Dano

Xxxx

Dano good luck with the restoration.
My advice is try and chose a colour scheme that's not got too many XX's.
If you do XX's then you will have to go through the pain barrier of cutting stencles - the attached are examples of 6 pounder ones.
IF you do go for stencles then use a fine sponge to dab the paint on.
No I'm not an expert on this, just passing on some advice from someone who really is.......
Good luck.
Dave.

Attachments

• XXX.jpg
    XXX.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 43
40mm??

Hi Dave, Thanks for the tip, and was that your round I saw in a post that was painted yellow, with X's on it? Was that 40mm? I don't want to paint it something that it is not. If yours is the round I am thinking of, it is excellent. Just fishing here I guess...Dano

Dano I think the one you may have been thinking of was

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/paint-colours-6pr6cwt-t34923.html?t=34923&highlight=6pr6cwt

which is the 6pr6cwt projectile (the guy who did this is the one who gave the advice about the sponge etc.).

I've got a few Bofors 40mm projectiles that I'll photograph for you and post photos of that should give you a good idea........unless someone else posts images first, will do so on Sat or Sunday.

Dave.

6pdr - 40mm - 3 pdr - hell I forget!!

Yeah Dave is guess it was the 6 pdr I was thinking of, for some reason (brain fart) I thought this was done with a 40mm Bofors. I sure would appreciate if you could post any painted 40mm Bofors you may have, as I want it to be correct and as colorful as possible. Just want to do a paint project on this projectile but it is important to me that the paint scheme is correct. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much...Dano

Dano,

The U.K. and Australia that I know of had a 40mm loading with flat yellow paint, red XXXXXs below the fuzewell and a green band on the ogive to indicate HE filler. You might search there.

Last edited:
cooelo

Aah, Thanks John, and I will persue that. I'm not trying to make something out of what it is not, but merely imitate a similar 40mm Bofors, possibly from another nation that has some vibrancy to the scheme. This is a project that I wish to complete. All the best...Dano

Hi Dano, this is one of mine still not quite finished but will give you some idea the red crosses are done by marker pen, and as you can see its ready for the green band.
Andy

Attachments

• 40mm AA.jpg
    40mm AA.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 74
  • bof1.jpg
    bof1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Hi Dano,
Here are a few pics of a British WW2 HE T Bofors round in original paint.
Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• 40mm Bofors British 002.jpg
    40mm Bofors British 002.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 40mm Bofors British 003.jpg
    40mm Bofors British 003.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 70
  • 40mm Bofors British 004.jpg
    40mm Bofors British 004.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 67
Nice one weasel and dano mine is the same british i have nearly got the crosses right.
Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,
Nice job on the repaint, just the lettering stencils to be done to finish it off. I still have to try my hand at doing a repaint. Dano i will take a picture of some WW2 US Naval practice rounds for you to look at when i can dig them out.
Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• 40mm US Practice 002.jpg
    40mm US Practice 002.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 40mm US Practice 004.jpg
    40mm US Practice 004.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
40mm Bofors projectile restoration start

Well I finally am getting around to restoration of my 40mm Bofors projectile. thanks to everyone for all the wonderful ideas, but I have decided to go with Andys (andysarmory) recommendations. This is where I am thus far. I have stripped the fuze to bare metal and have the basecoat on the projectile body. After this dries a few days I will then add on the red X's and then finally the green band. Here is a picture of where she stands to this point. And obviously I will need to do a little closer detail job by the driving band...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 330.jpg
    Picture 330.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 45
Looking pretty good Dano! For reference, typically ammo is painted with flat paint instead of the gloss high reflective type. That is the hardest thing to find when doing ammo, is the proper color in flat. You can use a satin clear as an overcoating to knock down some of the gloss.

Hi Dano, What i do is use a good gloss paint then let it dry for a day or so to go hard then i turn it in my lathe and take the gloss off using the very fine wire wool so as not to scratch it and it ages it as well.
Andy