What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BOCN members input on Bofors 40mm projectile

testing 1234

I have a can of satin clear coat which I will coat entire projectile when finished. This (at least in my opinion) gives it close to the correct patina. Any ideas on what to paint on red X's with. I already have the green band figured out. I want this to be one colorful SOB when completed. This is purely experimental as i've never attempted multi colors too much. Win, lose or draw I will post the result. If one wants to throw tomatos at it better have a strong arm to reach across pond....Dano

40 mm

Hi Dano
Just caught up with this thread.
Found a beat up practice 40mm a while back at the local gunshop. Had a go at repainting it. The case is from 1943 (canada). The X's and TNT were done with a stencil and the black stamps via the PC/inkjet printer on the inside face of laminating film. Used the same method on the Fog Signal box in an earlier post. Just have a damp cloth handy if it doesn't work first time. The ink wipes off ok. Once it's dry, give it a blast with some clearcoat. Found the info in an earier post (Can't find the post or who posted the info but thanks for posting!). Here's the artwork if you (or anybody else) want to use it.
Print it out at 100% and it should be the correct size..
You could also use it as a stencil if you have a sharp knife, steady hand and the patience of a saint!

All the best
T42

Attachments

• 18112009834.jpg
    18112009834.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Bofors2.pdf
    60.2 KB · Views: 47
Turpin that is a stunning job, looks really good and thankyou for the PDF very useful for anyone wanting to have a go at doing this. Dano please keep us updated on your progress on your repaint, look forward to seeing the finished item.
Best regards Weasel.

rummy

Well I gave it a shot and this is the best this old rummy could do. I just can't get the knack of painting by hand..Dano

Attachments

• Picture 377.jpg
    Picture 377.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 53
Yikes

Heck I don't know. On this one I still want to thicken the red X's, then emery cloth the high spots down, then coat with a flat/satin clearcoat. Too damn tedious for me. My eyes are shot, my hands not too steady. I think I need to stick with more basic stuff...Dano

Nice one Dano!

Hey Dano
Nice one!
Good job. Don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to your eyes or your hands... looks great.

T42

40mm bofors resto

I lost the original thread, but finally completed restoration on 40mm bofors shell. The last stage was knocking down some of the bling. I dulled the gloss and "too fresh" look with some fine ass emery cloth. I realize it is not real good, but ok for a 1/2 broken down old bloke such as myself. Well anyways here it is....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 421.jpg
    Picture 421.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 29
Dan,

I too am a little late on this one. BUT, being the manly type. I would of used a magenta over a hot pink with a chartruse lace wrapped around the base and something like a very hot purple on the caseing itself. This way when the time has come that you are sick of it, you can always sell it to somebody in San Francisco or Key West.

Sincerley, I haven't the slightest idea. But it looks great from the pictures. You did an excellent job their buddy.

If you ever decide to change it, I can help with the Lace part. ;()

V40
Markie

Last edited: