What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BOCN Radio hams

F

Fuzeman

Are there any BOCN members who are Radio Amateurs im G6UXN would be nice to start a BOCN net, i can operate all bands 160 Mtrs to 10 mtrs ,4 mtrs and also 2mtrs and 70 cms capability.

Hi allan
No Amateur radio will not die out although there are numerous modes of communication , Internet , mobile phones,Skype radio still has a strong following, the great thing is the Morse code was dropped from the licence which was good for us old class B licence holders , we were all upgraded to class A something i campaigned for , for years.

Hi Charlie
It would be nice to have a BOCN net, im sure the distance between us is well within 2mtrs or 70 cms capability

Best dig out the radio as well then steve

Or i could just give you my phone number lol

Hi Charlie
Thats cheating much better using the Ionsphere and propogation forecasts lol
Steve (G6UXN)

M6GLD this end.

6meters (military gear on RX)/2/70cms only

QTH cambridgeshire.
Can arrange weekday HF skeds from nearby QTH for the next two months with modern gear OR WS19 T1154/R1155 combination if desired?

Military sets in collection are:
BC-611
W.S.88 (off air)
AN/PRC-6
AN/PRC-6/E

Former sets owned:
W.S. 11
R107 (british RX)
R-126 (Russian hybrid low vhf manpack)
73's,

Rob

Last edited:
Sorry not an amateur - my father was an avid ham and I have kept a number of his QSL cards - the most memorable one was from a US Space Shuttle who opened a callsign whilst in orbit. Fathers callsign was G4KIC.

Hi Exat 808 i wonder if that space station had the 2 British amateurs on board ! one being a woman G1 ??? i tried many times to contact the space shuttle without sucess

Steve
All radios shown in my posts are legal to operate by me.

This is a subject which has always fascinated me but I've never got beyond C/B and VHF. When I took my coastal skippers exams in 1991 I found morse the most difficult thing to learn, as did others in the class. We all somehow scraped through and when the reults were announced our instructor took great delight in telling us that we were the last class to have to learn it as it was being dropped from the syllabus. We were not amused but had to see the funny side of it.
Cheers,
navyman.

Hi navyman
I think the end came when the Americans dropped it from their ham radio syllabus, it was then another couple of years before the Radio licensing department (as it was at that time ) came under pressure to drop that requirement too , im pleased as i disliked this class system,A or B we were all made up to full class A the only class difference is the novice licence that are only allowed a certain power level until they take the full exam.

blimey i thought radio ams died out in the 80,s
You're probably thinking of CB, CB and amateur radio are not the same. Anyone could buy and use a CB, but you need to pass an exam to operate on the amateur frequencies.

yes i know they are different,,it was the 1980s the last time i saw one,just never seen one since