What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bofors 40mm - Help with Project

Wolfstar

Hello everyone

I have what I think is a bofors 40x311R shell casing based on my research. I am doing some research into the shell for a project and was wondering if someone can help with the meanings of the markings on it. This is what I have found out so far, but am not sure if it is correct, also if anyone can provide me with additional information that would be greatly appreciated.
be appreciated.

Facts I have found:
- Shell opening is 40m and length is 311mm, making it a 40x311, which I believe would be a bofors shell.
- Semi-rimmed. It also has a rimmed on the bottom between the base and side of the case.

Markings I have identified:
1943 - year of manufacture
40mm - this is the size
MD - specifies the artillery propellant
Crow foot /|\ - makes it british military

Other markings include:
- CF*
- H4 (with another Broad Arrow stamped above)
- 224MS2/44
- No12 III
- MPM/43

Thanks
Wolfstar

IMG_17202.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1720.jpg
    IMG_1720.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 49
Hello Wolfstar,

This is an Australian made case - "MD" is the maker's monogram, which is Derwent Park in Hobart, Tasmania. MD was one of the largest Bofors shell case manufacturers in Australia during WW2. They made the case, but it would have been filled with propellent elsewhere.

Note that the maker is commonly shown in the 3 o'clock position on British/Commonwealth cases.

It is a 40mm Mk IV (mark 4) case fitted with a small type screw in primer.
"446" at the 9 o'clock position is the lot number of the manufacturing "batch" if you like.
"CF" means that the case was to be loaded with a Full Charge of propellant, usually a type of cordite for Bofors.

The case is fitted with a No.12 MkIII primer made at "MPM" Mildura, Vic (my hometown) in 1943 and filled with a detonating charge at "MS" Salisbury, near Adelaide, SA in 2/44 - February 1944.

What other information on Bofors guns or rounds are you after?

Regards,

Graeme (Ballarat, Vic)

Last edited:
G-Day Wolfstar,

Your cart. case is for a 40/60 Bofors AA gun of WWII vintage. 40MM Mk IV cartridge (a Mk IV indicates that there were other earlier versions or variations to get to this version or Mk.) Some subtle differences or changes to the manufacture of the cart.

The cart. case was made by MD (Munitions Derwent- in Tasmania, a relatively rare casing). The H4 with (crows foot) arrow is an inspectors acceptance mark.

It was made within lot 446, as batches of casings were made in lots for QA purposes.

The case was made in 1943 & was loaded with a Cordite Full charge (CF*), the star may indicate that it has been reloaded or re-worked.

The big arrow (crow foot) indicates it was accepted for service.

The No.12 MkIII is the type of primer that is fitted to the cartridge for initiating the propellant in the cartridge. It looks to have been manufactured in 1943 by MPM (don't know this manufacturer) but loaded in lot 224 by MS (Munitions Salisbury, South Australia) in Feb. 1944.

Hope this helps,

Regards Ozzi.

Bugga, Darkman beat me to it, Cheers Graeme

Last edited:
Wolfstar,

A little bit more info for you:

The nomenclature of the gun 40/60 derives from the caliber 40mm and the length of the barrel in calibers, so the length of barrel is 60 calibers 40mm X 60 =2400mm (2.4m).

The Bofors gun was predominately a swedish design but that country was neutral during WWII so was able to sell their guns or design license to anyone who wanted them!

The groove just above the rim of the cart. aided in both extraction of fired case from the gun & also to assist in holding the rounds in a 4 round clip that was used to feed the gun. The groove around the base of the cart was another aid to holding the round in the feed clip.

You should be able to find heaps of info on these guns on the net.

Regards Ozzi.

No worries Peter!

I just happened to know that MPM was Mildura off the top of my head as that's where I originally came from. MPM made primers only.
There is also a basic listing of the munitions factories on Ian Skennerton's website: http://www.enfieldcollector.com/markings.html although he lists MD as Derwent Park in VIC!

I recently picked up a very nice original Bofors round with unfired case made at MC Finsbury SA, original painted and stencilled projectile made at GMH at Elizabeth SA in 1943 and filled at MS Salisbury - a nice SA round. No. 255 fuse was a later MF item made in '59. I will fit a period 251 Mk III or a 255.

Regards,

Graeme

Howdy Darkman,

Excellent info thanks.

Yeah I heard about your special Bofors acquisition, not too often they come around in that good a condition. Well done.

I think your GMH proj. was manufactured @ the Woodville plant, I have a couple specimens stamped GMHW. I doubt if the Elizabeth plant was operational during WWII!

Regards Ozzi.

Last edited:
Yes you are correct - it is GMHW for Woodville. Elizabeth is where they make the cars - well for a little while longer anyway!

Thanks!!!!

Hi Ozzi and Graeme

Thanks for all the information!!!! It is great and I never imagined I would find out so much! Given all the information that you guys have provided I have decided to do a bit more research into some other military stuff I have, such as a WW1 shell and an Omega WWW watch from WW2. I have tried to find info out about the watch before, but never really got much, maybe I was on the wrong forum.

Thanks again guys for your help....

Cheers
Dennis

Howdy Darkman,

Excellent info thanks.

Yeah I heard about your special Bofors acquisition, not too often they come around in that good a condition. Well done.

I think your GMH proj. was manufactured @ the Woodville plant, I have a couple specimens stamped GMHW. I doubt if the Elizabeth plant was operational during WWII!

Regards Ozzi.

Hi Ozzi and Graeme

Thanks for all the information!!!! It is great and I never imagined I would find out so much! Given all the information that you guys have provided I have decided to do a bit more research into some other military stuff I have, such as a WW1 shell and an Omega WWW watch from WW2. I have tried to find info out about the watch before, but never really got much, maybe I was on the wrong forum.

Thanks again guys for your help....

Cheers
Dennis

G-Day again Wolfstar,

Put your WWI shell up on the forum & see what responses you get back.

Regards Ozzi.