What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bofors AP

ydnum303

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me when capped AP shot were first introduced for British service with the 40mm L60 gun, please?

I have a copy of a page from a 1942 handbook which refers to a SAP projectile, but the full AP shot is not mentioned.

Thanks in advance,
Roger.

The records of the British Ministry of Supply (MOS) are not very detailed as regards ammunition, unfortunately. They do show the following 40mm Bofors types:
40mm HE - in low-rate production at the start of the war - wartime production of 39.4 million (plus 14.5 million from overseas)
40mm SAP - first deliveries 1940, production ended 1942 - wartime production of 277,000
40mm Innoc - first deliveries 1941 - wartime production of 2.08 million
40mm AP - first deliveries 1942 - wartime production of 1.2 million (plus 537,000 from overseas)
40mm Practice AT - first deliveries 1943 - wartime production of 401,000
40mm Practice Weighted HE (naval) - first deliveries 1944 - wartime production of 112,000

I have not been able to come up with more details than that (such as month of start of production) right away.

Last edited:
I was able to refine the dates a little bit.
HE - in production at start and end of war
SAP - production started Jul-Sep 40 and ended Apr-Jun 42
Innoc - production started Jan-Mar 41 and went to end of war
AP - production started Jul-Sep 42 and ended Oct-Dec 44
Practice AT - production started Jul-Sep 43 and ended Oct-Dec 44
Practice Weighted HE (naval) - production started Oct-Dec 44 and went to end of war

Thanks Firebird,

That is very helpfull. There were several types of AP developed for the Bofors, so the question is now whether the AP introduced in 1942 was the "ordinary" type of AP, or the capped shot. I am sure someone out there must have details of Bofors AP ammo!

Roger.

Hi Roger,
I have a APT here dated 12/42 if this helps at all, as well as a practice AP but will have to wait until i can dig that one out to get a picture and a date for you.
Best Weasel.
40mm AP 1942 01.jpg40mm AP 1942 02.jpg

Weasel, many thanks for that. From the photo, yours seems to be a Mk.IV, of the type that looks very similar to the 2-pdr A/T gun shot. I see the maker's mark was LUV; any idea who that was?

What I am really after is the date that the capped AP shot was introduced for the Bofors, someone on this site must surely have, or have access to, the Handbooks for this gun, which I am sure would give some idea.

Regards,
Roger.