What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bofors Day again --- Practice type

Gspragge

Premium Member
I picked this up in a 42 case. It is dated 44 so I put my earlier example in the case instead and should have
less trouble finding a late war case for this.
It appears to have been an HE body with black overpaint (what's left of it).
Steel dummy fuze with traces of red (was it red aver all the fuze, the top of the tip has surviving red) - does any one have anything similar ?
Plugged base.

Attachments

• SDC19901.jpg
    SDC19901.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 54
  • SDC19900 (1).jpg
    SDC19900 (1).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 71
Could this be American ? Red steel practice fuze, seems pinned onto body ?
Makings as I can make them out;

X or
Y K 25963
40 MM IVT
B S L (inset in the L) B
G or
IMC/C
1/44

Last edited:
I would have thought fairly obviously Canadian Gordon.

A standard practice shell with a steel plug fuze (PRF). A really good find as WW2 practice shells are very rare. The 1950s practice shells we get here in Australia have aluminium plug fuzes.

Practice shells are black all over with a yellow band, so I don’t know why your dummy fuze has traces of red.

Are there any stamps on the fuze at all?

Graeme

Small letter A in a circle - I'm no Bofors expert at all ! , though it's an HE body overpainted black , yellow stripe either absent or simply worn off , If I recall
correctly (no guarantee of that) don't some of the later drill types have some red on them --

Practice shell for live firing not a drill. Possibly had a red band if filled with gunpowder and a real fuze as in the attached image. But yours is fitted with a dummy representative fuze, so would probably only have contained an HESubstitute material. If fitted with a tracer element for observation, the shell would have had a yellow band to indicate the presence of some energetic material. But if it was a basic practice firing HES shell with only a dummy tracer plug fitted, then it would have just been black all over with white stencilling. Australian practice HES shells are yellow HE that have been overpainted with black.

Attachments

• 26F1429F-BC34-4F9C-BB53-B7E2328D15ED.jpeg
    26F1429F-BC34-4F9C-BB53-B7E2328D15ED.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 13
Pics attached Gordon, If Canada didn't have such a police state mentality,I would move there just for the 18 pounders you find! Bofors L60,AP Practice, Practice, and explosive practice. If you look in downloads there are some British files with info. Tig.