What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bofors fuze.

navyman

Hello,
Can anyone explain how this inert Bofors fuze works?
The forward part seems to be some sort of centifugal mechanism, and the rear part looks like a tracer pellet which could also ignite the main charge when it had burned through?
Any information gratefully received, many thanks,
navyman.

Attachments

• Bofors fuze 1a.jpg
    Bofors fuze 1a.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Bofors fuze 2a.jpg
    Bofors fuze 2a.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Bofors fuze 3a.jpg
    Bofors fuze 3a.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 84
Hello navyman.

It seems like MK27 fuze (yes, for 47mm bofors).

The mechanism isn't difficult to undestand, except if I explain it to you (because my english is very primitive...).

So, with these doc, you have all you need

Attachments

• TM 9 1901 p283.jpg
    TM 9 1901 p283.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 48
  • TM 9 1901 p284.jpg
    TM 9 1901 p284.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 68
  • TM 9 1901 p285.jpg
    TM 9 1901 p285.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 48
  • cat-0264.jpg
    cat-0264.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 48
  • TM D-2-1-9.jpg
    TM D-2-1-9.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 62
Since the 40mm Bofors was used extensively in an antiaircraft role, much of the ammunition was fitted with SD tracers (self destroying) or (shell destroying). If the projo failed to hit an aircraft, it would self destruct instead of coming down on the heads of friendly forces. This same method is currently used on the U.S. 20mm vulcan ammo carried on aircraft. If the fuze fails to high order detonate the projectile the tracer burns through and low order detonates it.

In UK this type of self destruct mechanism via the tracer is known as a tracer igniter.

Thank you all for that info. I'd guessed right about the tracer element but the point det fuze had me confused. Nice to be able to finishthe re-furbishment and catalogue it with some usefull data.
Cheers, thanks again.
Guy.