What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bofors projectile colour ?

navyman

Hello all,
I have this projectile which arrived with a very nice 1942 case. It's been repaired with filler and painted at least twice. Underneath the red band is a green one, and on the base are traces of a sort of navy blue colour. I'd like to strip all the paint off, refill and re paint. Please would someone give me a suggestion as to the correct paint scheme for this solid shot projectile?
Many Thanks,
navyman.

Attachments

• bofors 1a.jpg
    bofors 1a.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 60
Hello Chris,
I was concerned about this one as it didn't look right. I've stripped the surface off since I posted this morning. Will attach picture of it naked! It's now covered again, this time with chemical metal. Would you send me a picture of the correct 2lbdr case if you have one? I have an empty case marked; 2Pr No I Mk II, N,(navy)?, 1942. Any chance that this may be suitable?
Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Guy.

Attachments

• 2lbr bofors without paint 1a.jpg
    2lbr bofors without paint 1a.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 38
Hello Falcon,
Thanks for that, unfortunately I've just remembered that when I bought the 2Lpr case for 0.50p it had a fluted case lip which I had to trim down by about 1/4". I should have left it as found, but that was years ago and 'trench art' was common in junk shops then. So now I will have to look out for an unadulterated 2Lpr case and another WW2 Bofors projectile, I also now need another shelf, it's the last bit of available wall-space! I think the rocket motor may not have been such a good idea as three people have tripped over it so far, and I've reversed my wheelchair into it twice, but I can't bear to part with it.
Just another part of the collecting bug I suppose?
Attached pic of projectile being repaired and stunted 2Lpr case.
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• 2 inch trimmed case and proj.jpg
    2 inch trimmed case and proj.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 26
2pr proj.

Hold on something does not look right. The 2pr anti tank solid shot is 95mm long from the front of the band, the 40mm aircraft is not solid but is 125mm from the front of the band. Your proj. if solid would be too heavey. Suggest you investigate the base of it carefully, suspect it has a plug in it and the shell is hollow, might be base fuzed. I've never seen a pointed 2pr AA solid pointed shot nor practice, the old common pointed is much sharper. 2pr

Looks like a 2-PR naval practice projectile (nose plug?). Dimensions would go some way to confirm its identity.

Hello all,
Thanks for your curiosity, I'm bewildered so have made some measurements and weighed the projectile, Added a couple more pictures as well. Please bear in mind that these weights and measurments are approximate as the projectile has had it's first coat of chemical metal and been roughly ground down, the pitting was heavy. The base is definitely solid, also heavilly pitted and has been part filled with another material previously. The case is shorter than it should be as described earlier. Looking at the stripped projectile it does look as though there could have been a nose fuze where the filler is now?
Proj weight; 1 lbd 12 3/4 oz,
Proj length; 5.925",
From front of drive band; 4.951",
Base diameter; 1.502",
Trimmed case length; 5.849".
Any help gratefully received.
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• Base 1a.jpg
    Base 1a.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 15