What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb fragment...

Nismosonic

I was given this some years ago.. it is a large fragment from what appears to be a SD bomb.. it is mounted and a little brass plaque states "portion of bomb dropped on Erdington June 11 1940" on underheath the wooden mount in pencil it reads " this timber is from house destroyed by enemy action June 1940.
Fragment is 9.5 Inches long.
Any ideas what bomb it may be from ? I think it is from rear of case near to where tail fixing is. but maybe will never know.

Attachments

• 21122009535.jpg
    21122009535.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 112
Hmmm,tough question on the Ident Nimo.

Would that be Erdington in Birmingham? Maybe you will have to have a gander through the books or Interweb for info on the raid.Perhaps details can be found on any UXB's of the time?

best

waff

Last edited:
I have several pieces of SD casing. It is possible to work out the size/type of the bomb from the thickness of the casing. Generally with the thicker-cased SD bombs they sort of shattered without bending, so although the casing was thicker towards the nose, you can work out whereabouts the splinter was from on the casing due to the thickness and shape/angle of the splinter. Am at work and don't have the measurements to hand but any decent copy of an ordnance guide should give you the thicknesses.
Merry Xmas!

Have a look at the Blitz then and Now it may tell you what bombs were dropped, any problems i will try to help

Hi.. i dont have this book... 119!! dont think I will be buying it anytime soon! is there any record of a raid on 11th June 1940 anywhere ?

Bomb Frag.

Hi there, I reckon this splinter was most likely from a SD500. I had a large collection of WW2 Luftwaffe bomb frags including pieces from the 1000 pounders. The big bombs had quite thin casings up to the nosecone which tended to be much thicker. The Parachute Mines which were the most feared of all had dark blue/black casings that were not machined so lacked the machining lines that appear on most other types. Its a fascinating subject and provides great research projects. I once had a massive 16 inch by 12 inch fragment from an SD500 dropped on Devonshire Road Walthamstow on 19th March 1941. Put it on ebay a while back starting at 75 and it went for 122 in the end! Tim.