What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb ID

gwa330

Hi,

I have had a look through the older posts to see if i could ID my bomb but to no avail. Could anyone help me out please? I think its British, possibly practice from what i have seen but the fuze leads me to think it may not be? Although i have seen many bodies like this on the internet, i have not seen this fuze. It has the plate under the fixing lug on top too.

It is:
Length - 71cm
Diameter - 14-15cm
Tail fins to end of the shroud - 12.5cm

The ruler in the picture is a 30cm ruler.

Any help would be grately appreciated, thank you.

IMG_0440.jpgIMG_0447.jpgIMG_0450.jpgIMG_0445.jpg

The body is for sure the 40 lbs GP but i think the fuse is incorrect, has it got a FFE number on it as it should have a certificate stating what it is, its the pea shingle that gives it away where it is,,,,,,,, Dave

The body is for sure the 40 lbs GP but i think the fuse is incorrect, has it got a FFE number on it as it should have a certificate stating what it is, its the pea shingle that gives it away where it is,,,,,,,, Dave

These lads/lasses are on a course dave so will not have access to the ffe certs ,its part of identification homework for them,,,

These lads/lasses are on a course dave so will not have access to the ffe certs ,its part of identification homework for them,,,

quick question...

If this is the case, are we ok helping out on the ID of such items? ...... Is posting the question "what is this...?",showing 'initiative' ,or the 'easy way out?'

I don't mind helping people out, I think thats what a Forum is all about, but of course this is from a collector/historian point of view...

thoughts?

kind regards Kev

That's exactly it Kev, I have seen other posts like this before and i know where the items were, i don't mind helping them to cheat and i don't mind helping if thy don't know, if these guys or gals were in a field up to there neck in shit of cause we should all help them....... Dave

its not cheating its using other resources...

Thanks for clearing up this one Spotter. I can now answer any questions posed with a clear conscience. The identification of unkown objects to the individual in such circumstances is critical in this line of work, of course any 'help' would have to be re-searched further by the individual asking the question, so maybe its more steering in the right direction!!!

I think that Dave made a great point about helping out anyone in the 'Field', I think more than that it is almost our duty to help out where possible with any knowledge of unidentified objects uncovered. I have witnessed many unidentified objects being correctly identified within hours - sometimes minutes - of posting. These people in the Field are laying their lives on the line every day and any help ought to be freely given.

kind regards
Kev

Hi all, have now found my item. Thanks for your help. I didn't want to start an argument on the morals of this info but just to make it clear, it is a research exercise. We have numerous resources available and your website is named as a good one. I used ordata and other such sites. I found it in our lib after a 'steer' from here and some RAF buddies. Thanks again.

I'm only happy to help out......... and you know where to come if you get stuck with anything in the future, this really is a good site with a lot of knowledgeable members in all areas.
Glad you got the I.D. sorted

kindest regards Kev

I`m with you butterfly - I think some people use the forums as an easy way out.
As I`ve said on other posts , to me, part of the adventure (so to speak) is in doing a bit of your own detective work.
Not wanting to chuck stones in glass houses though I will admit to having used the forum this way myself on a few occassions.
This in itself should be taken by members as a compliment as the speed, variety & detail of feedback is usually very good - but again I reiterate that i think the forum should be used when you have exhausted you own research and/or need clarification/confirmation of your findings.