What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb Identification needed

Dreamk

Can someone identify teh bomb lying on the ground on this photo. The photo was (supposedly) taken in Poland in 1939 and shows a PZL-37 Loz bomber with a bomb on the ground
pzlp37awithbombonearth.jpg

image2zt.gif

The bomb is in 2 parts - the tail being separated and looks very much like the Tolfvan models (fins with the typical rotation foldings, circular collar at the front of the tail) . The only two parts Polish bomb known in the 1930-39 period is the 100 kg Ż wz. 31 but it is supposed to look very much as the French 100 Kg bomb from the early 1930s, if we are to trust its drawing
100kgzwz.gif

Most Polish bombs were PuW type. I think we can also exclude the BS series that never entered in series production, but had cylindrical bodies and a fin similar to the czech Skoda bombs the late thirties, if we trust its drawing (once again, so long I have not seen photographs of these bombs, I am always cautious with drawings, even when they come from the most respectable sources)
image3g.gif

So what may this bomb be?

Thanks, but allow me to disagree :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

15872930.jpg

38254213.jpg

puw300.gif

The rotationary fins were indeed developped first on the PuW but were adopted widely in the 1920s and 1930s (Bofors, Tolfvan etc...)
The collar junction of the tail with the body does not fit the PuW 300kg identification , nor the shape of the body and nose, nor the overall size of the bomb.

PTW there is a funny thing on the second schema - the larger PuW are called "German" bombs, by opposition to the smaller weight PuW poduced in Poland, but the Michelin flare bomb is not called "French" nor "Michelin" - these schemas came from the official leaflet of the Polish Air Ministry from 1928.

Last edited:
An interesting feature on the photo is the red arrows pointing to the townend collector ring supports on the Bristol Pegasus engine on the Pzl 37,also all the various inspection panels and hatches are open,it looks like the aircraft is getting a thorough investigation,
Don,

Sorry for my small mistake.It is not polish only german bomb and I still insist that this is german bomb 300kg PUW.3969LOS MIELEC.jpg

and what you think about this Dreamk:)

Attachments

• puw300kg_w_polandzie.jpg
    puw300kg_w_polandzie.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I must recognize that the pics you brought here make indeed the case for the PuW 300 :tinysmile_shy_t: its seems it's even the very same aircraft!
And the pic of the 100kg wz31 is a great addition too. thanks!!!

Thanks, but allow me to disagree :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

15872930.jpg

38254213.jpg

puw300.gif

The rotationary fins were indeed developped first on the PuW but were adopted widely in the 1920s and 1930s (Bofors, Tolfvan etc...)
The collar junction of the tail with the body does not fit the PuW 300kg identification , nor the shape of the body and nose, nor the overall size of the bomb.

PTW there is a funny thing on the second schema - the larger PuW are called "German" bombs, by opposition to the smaller weight PuW poduced in Poland, but the Michelin flare bomb is not called "French" nor "Michelin" - these schemas came from the official leaflet of the Polish Air Ministry from 1928.

I agree with Dreamk, according to me it is a 100kg tolfvan type, in the image from him posted compared with a soldier...same a this bomb in a page of a manual TolfvanFinnish bomb types 1930-38 1.jpgFinnish bomb types 1930-38 8.jpg

, available in download section of Forum, from me loaded.

Regards Francesco