What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bomb identification

al'saad

Ordnance approved
all shots are taken in hurry as guy in which yard this bomb was found (under pile of wood) wouldn't let us take it.
finally he attacked us with an axe and poured bomb with gasoline an burned the filler. you will notice cuts on body which are made with grinder so that bomb can be used as counter weight on tractor for pulling logs.

anyway my question is which bomb this is as i couldn't make an ID from literature i have.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 145
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 139
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Well with out dimmensions it is very diffecult, and why is it a bomb?.
I think what i see at the back there is some kind of driving band and a hollowed out base. could'nt it be a 25 cm sprengmine?.

Attachments

• 25cm.jpg
    25cm.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 56
Good call 97, looks pretty close from what I can see on the photo.

Dims & better pics would be good - but understand your predicament al.
I think this is an artillery shell.
Are those composite fibres in the cut-outs I can see??

no composite fibers as can recall...general dimensions of 25cm sprengmine, as i can recall fit to item we found. and because of it's mass i assumed it is some aircraft bomb even if shape was reminding more to shell than to bomb.

now i have to figure how wwi piece of ammunition ended up in bosnia and herzegovina.

so i have other question...how common this weapon was in german and austro-hungarian army?

I've seen them at some of the sites in France and Belgium, but I don't know about the Eastern Front. We see a lot of stuff in Northern Italy, but I've never seen anything this size that was German or AH. We've had bigger WWI pieces (not German) with CW fill show up as far east as Slovenia, so I guess conventional in BH isn't that much of a stretch.

well, wwi UXOs in BiH are extremely rare stuff, especially this big pieces...now i am sorry for not fighting the peasant over souvenir. this would really improved exhibition in front of our headquarters building.