What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bomb shackle? any thoughts

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
good morning, I wonder if anyone can identify this 'thing' which appears to be some sort of shackle. The ends of the prongs are drilled to take securing wires. I have seen one before but for the life of me can't remember in what context. Any thoughts before it goes in the bin?

thanks as always, Dave

Attachments

• 100_7035.jpg
    100_7035.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_7036.jpg
    100_7036.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 49
Is it related to the other items in the box. Have you identified them?

Pask was my neighbor.

hi Will, thats a coincidence! The other items were mixed but perhaps related - a presentation shell case, a German incendiary bomb body, an American 1940s bakelite torch, guidance notes on Naval personnel visiting the USA dated 1942 and some other odd items - see attached, 2 look like bomb fuze locking rings but they are in aluminium. The other items are in an alloy of some sort. Do you know much about his war time duties? Dave

Attachments

• 100_7052.jpg
    100_7052.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_7053.jpg
    100_7053.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 26
The locking ring in the bottom left looks very much like the one used on the German magnetic mine in conjunction with the type 34 fuze (see photo below) - it would also explain its construction.

Ariel Mine 2.jpg

regards Kev

thanks Kevin, in does indeed. It might explain the other bits and even why he was sent to the USA in 1942, perhaps to instruct them in German ordnance matters. Dave

He was an Electrical Engineer, in the Royal Navy.

I could ask his wife the next time I am home, but it won't be for a month.

that would be very useful Will, it might explain the US 1940s safety torch ie non electrically conducting. Any extra info that she can provide would be helpful in giving life to the artifacts. many thanks for your help

dave