What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bombs in the UK post WWII

Right after WW2 the RAF were using up a lot of wartime stocks so the main HE bombs used were 500 and 1000 lb MC of various Marks plus other assorted types such as the 20lb Frag bomb (based on the US M41). In the 1950s, after the WW2 stocks had been dropped or dumped, the 500 and 1000 lb MCs remained in service for carriage on Canberra, Victor, Vulcan, Valiant and other aircraft. When these aircraft had gone out of service as bombers both of these bomb designs were revised for high-speed external carriage (on Phantom, Harrier and Buccaneer aircraft) with twin suspension lugs. The 500 lb became the 540 lb while the 1000 lb Mks 6, 6*, 9, 11, 11* and 12 evolved into the Mk. 20; both the 540 lb and 1000 lb Mk. 20 are still in service today.

Hope this answers your question.

eodda

Thank you!
The truth is very much in common. And where you can see in more detail? I know only BL755

To my knowledge, this isn't written down anywhere. It's all in my head!!

BL755 was in RAF service between about 1975 and 1995.

eodda

There was also an RBL-755 in service for a few years at most - until we joined in the submunition ban. IIRC the R stood for 'Radar' and the dispenser was proximity rather than time fuzed. This allowed its delivery from altitudes outside point defence range without excessive bomblet dispersal. US CBU-87 CEMs had been used in small numbers from Jaguars for this reason in 1991, but were subsequently replaced by CRV-7 during the latter stages of that conflict (again IIRC). Later on the BL-755 (and RBL755) got a fuze that extended forward to give a greater standoff distance and thus better penetration vs armour as Soviet AFVs were getting thicker and in some cases reactive armour.

I'm pretty sure at least partially streamlined 1000lb MCs were available well prior to the withdrawal of bombers with internal carriage as tactical aircraft would still have needed something to carry externally. For example the Supermarine Scimitar had no internal weapons bay. Here are a couple of pics appearing to show 50s/60s tactical aircraft with bombs - I'm curious to know what they are.

Scimitar

http://www.imxcited.com/cp09_atmospherics/040_post_wwii.html

This is allegedly a Mk4 Hunter (which I thought were pretty much pure fighters)

http://crimso.msk.ru/Images6/AI/AI55-10/21-2.jpg

The 1000lb'ers used on such aircraft as the Scimitar and Hunter were the same early 1950s types Marks used on the Canberrra, Shackleton and the V bombers, i.e the Marks 6, 6*, 9, 11, 11* and 12. The shape of those earlier Marks is the same as that of the later (and current) Marks 13, 15, 18, 20 and 22. That shape was found to be the optimum in terms of aerodynamic qualities versus explosive payload following studies carried out after World War 2 to assess the destructive power of the bombs dropped on Germany. Several of the early 1950s Marks were reworked into the later Marks using the same bodies - hence the shape didn't change - the only external changes were to delete the single suspension lug and replace it with the NATO standard twin lugs.

eodda

Thank you for explaining that eodda. This may be a silly question, but why do we have so many marks still in service? I know with the sequence of AFV marks (particularly Centurion and Cheiftain tanks) that a significant upgrade can make a mark number 'jump' a full integer, rather than just adding a /1 or /2* or A2 to the mark, but it still seems odd that we have such diversity given the tiny remaining fleet of aircraft capable of delivering them - particularly as neither PIV or GBU-24 use them as payloads.

Last edited:
Chris

The only two Marks currently in service are the Mk 20 (HE filled) and the Mk 22 (reusable Practice bomb). The use of using the * system of showing modified main Marks was discontinued after the Mk 11. As I said in my last post, the earlier Marks were re-worked into later models. The differences between the Mark numbers is mainly to do with different HE fillings and whether the bodies were cast or forged.

The Paveway IV uses a modified US-design Mk 82 body; the Paveway III(UK) - (it's not a GBU-24) - uses a modified BLU-109 body.

I hope this helps.

Regards

eodda