What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bone headed question 2 pdr shell case

Hi Guys, You might as well call me the British shell case virgin. Until I got one in the mail a few weeks ago I had no idea on the size of the 6 pounder shell case, then came a 13 pounder (I just love how the British mark the hell out of their headstamps ((legibility and all)). Anyway I think a 1 pounder is the 37mm similar case. What I am after are the dimensions of the 2 pounder case (especially width). I think I want a 2 pounder casing but would like to know sizing first. I know most other country shelll case sizes but have yet much to learn on the British casings. When you finish laughing about this couls someone please help me here..Dano

1 Pdr. is 37mm , 1 1/4 Pdr. is 37mm, 1 1/2 Pdr is 37mm

2 Pdr. is 40mm

3 Pdr. is 47mm

6 Pdr. is 57mm

after this it goes wild --- lengths vary .

when you receive all of those discs I'm sending it will help or just drive you mad - (er)

thanks

Thanks Gordon, Information is more appreciated than you know, wasn't sure if I wanted a 2pdr casing, now I know I do, the British casings are just so cool. thanks again..Dano

dano!

No probs on asking any question matey. :) i mean jeeezus,i been here from near enough the start and still ask all sorts of stuff! lol
Im glad you got sorted .

best

waff

FYI, there are 2 common types of 2 Pdr cases. You posted the photo yesterday of the AAA gun case.

There is also a 2 Pdr antitank gun case, and there are a number of threads about it, some showing the ammo, on this site. There are also some photos on Tony's website.

More on 2 pounders.

Dano in addition to the common 2 pounder rounds that John mentions there are a few odd ones:

2 pounder S gun round (left in photo)
2 pounder Mk 5 aircraft gun round (shown second from left in photo)
2 pounder HV pipsqueak (shown on right in photo)
2 pounder davis gun round (I've not got one but Hazord shows one in the thread about 6 pounder davis gun rounds).
.....................and then there's all the different projectiles to collect (littlejohn second from right in standard 2 pounder anti tank case is quite rare)!!

Dave.

Attachments

• 2 pounders Sept 08 004.jpg
    2 pounders Sept 08 004.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 73
Thanks to all

Wow, There sure lots of different 2 pounders out there. I would like to thank everyone for all the information as all was very helpful. Dano