What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bouncing Bomb

Last page
dams3.jpg

Its always nice to see that the Germans have better information than us!

Yes Jayteepee, i got a hole lot of it today again al drawings from the war.
But now i have to scan it al :S :blink:

Cheers Mad B)

Hi Guys.
There used to be one of the bombs out side the main gate of RAF Scampton just up the road from me some years ago. along with a lancaster bomber.
Im not 100% certain but i think they are now at the air museum at Newark about 12 miles south of Lincoln.
Cheers, Paul.

Brenzett Museum in Kent has one bouncing bomb recovered in the 70, s from reculver

These were the original German drawings taken at the time of the first recovered bouncing bomb
German_drawings_of_Bouncing_bomb_001-8f307e4137900d3a1784ac5a9b31e996.jpg

Theres a good article on the Sorpe dam raid in this months copy of Britain at war magazine, it also has a list with pictures of some of the upkeep bombs that survive in museums.

I cannot get Britain at war magazine can anyone copy the article on the bouncing bomb for me please
Steve

Here another picture and a drawing

Attachments

• x001-6488.jpg
    x001-6488.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Upkeep onder Guy Gibson zijn Lancaster.jpg
    Upkeep onder Guy Gibson zijn Lancaster.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 59
there was excellent documentary about development of bouncing bombs on discovery channel several days ago. i was really surprised by hearing that RAF even considered using enlarged golf ball shape for these bombs, but that was too expensive and complicated for production.

Upkeep was the codename for the lancaster bouncing bomb.

There was another similar smaller weapon called highball that was developed for the mosquito to attack ships. I don't think it was ever used.

Upkeep had three depth charge hydrostatic pistols set to 30 ft. They were standard pistols, but had twice the normal number of CE pellets in them.

One of the hydrostatic pistol horshoe safetys from the dams raid was on ebay some time ago. It went for good money.

There was a central self destruct pistol which had a 90s delay.

There are two patents issued for the bouncing bomb.

'Improvements in Explosive missiles and means for their discharge' No. 937,959 11Aug42

and

'Air attack on dams' No. 937960 10Jul43

High ball was going to be used to attack Japanese shipping , but the end of the war came too soon for it to be used operationally.