What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bouncing mine ID request

Yodamaster

Ordnance approved
Hello everyone,
first of all i want to extend my sincere condolences to all the commonwealth members of BOCN on the passing of their queen.

Now, this morning I received a call for help from a friend in Syria who is facing an identification problem.

It's a bouncing APers mine, first identified as OZM-72, but..... OZM-72 is 17 cm height. Dimensions of this is 15 cm height and 10,5 cm diameter.

I have no Chinese doc available, I think it can be a possibility, but all other ideas of identification are welcome.

Yoda

Attachments

• OZM-72-02.jpeg
    OZM-72-02.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 49
  • OZM-72-01.jpg
    OZM-72-01.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 45
The total height of OZM-172, without fuzes and with plugs, is 172 mm, but the body is only 145 mm high.

Regards
stecol

I can't check the inert ones in the office, as I'm at home, but Russian manuals state the OZM-72 is 108 mm in diameter and 172 mm high when it isn't fuzed.

Scaling a sectional diagram in the same manual, by using the diameter of 108 mm, gives the height to the top surface as about 152 mm.

Using the same scaling, the height to the top item on the mine, the top of the fuze well protective cap, gives a height of 175 mm, so the scaling seems about right.

Last edited:
Thanks Stecol and Eggburt1969,

I communicated your answers to my buddy and he seems to agree with your identifications.I don't know if he has the means but I advised him to do an X-ray, if it is possible in complete safety. If it's possible, we'll see.
If not, a Low Order method would make it possible to have access to the interior and to be able to determine the internal arrangement.

Wait, wait,...

Yoda

Here, after a "soft" opening, the remains confirm the explosive pot of an OZM-72.
Thank you Stecol and Eggburt1969 !

Yoda

Attachments

• OZM-72-04.jpeg
    OZM-72-04.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 40