What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Box markings

poltewerke

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Hi, found the images below while looking for info., so thought l would post. Hope you enjoy, Regards Ron.

Attachments

• Boxes etc..jpg
    Boxes etc..jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Boxes etc. 002.jpg
    Boxes etc. 002.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Boxes etc. 003.jpg
    Boxes etc. 003.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Boxes etc. 004.jpg
    Boxes etc. 004.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 74
.280/30

I like the .280/30 box, I must get a copy of that from you. I have the others.

Cheers
TonyE

The .303 incendiary Mk 6B, sometimes called "buckingham" were for aircraft use against the Zeppelins when they started bombing London in WW1.

B Mark VI

Sorry, but you have the wrong war!

The B Mark VI was a chemical incendiary, often called the "de Wilde", that came into service in early 1940. The name was a cover, as the design only owed about 10% to de Wilde, the majority of the work being carried out by Major Dixon.

The anti-Zeppelin round you are thinking of is the Buckingham Mark VIIB, which was phosphorus filled and was designed by the eponymous Mr.Buckingham of Coventry.

British nomenclature changed in 1926 from the WWI style that used a suffix code letter, e.g. VIIB to one that used a prefix letter as in B Mark VI.

You are obviously in need of my book on headstamps and markings of British service .303 ammunition!

(I thought that was a very neat segue into a commercial for my book)

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:

Attachments

• Ball IIZ.jpg
    Ball IIZ.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 27
  • BIz.jpg
    BIz.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 24
  • FGIz.jpg
    FGIz.jpg