What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brandt pneumatic mortar

Mortar designs of WW1 probably number in the hundreds. One of the oddballs is the Brandt pneumatic mortar. This is a French product of WWI. It was introduced in 1915 by the French and was eventually copied by the Germans. The barrel was 1m30 in length and was fired by a system of tanks and pistons. It weighed 22kg and could be mounted on a 3 leg cradle that weighed in at 16kg and fired a 60mm shell. Pneumatic mortars were chosen over hydraulics for many reasons but mainly because an operator would have to pump the hydraulic model. The big advantage was silence in operation and no flash......Dano

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Picture 727.jpg
    Picture 727.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
60mm Brandt Pneumatci mortar projectile France WW1

I have a question on color of the projectile of the Brandt French WW1 pneumatic mortar projectile. I have one coming in the mail that is an inerted live version with the fuze. Here is a picture of another one which is painted red, which I believe to be a practice round. What color would the live projectile have been originally. The one I have coming has been repainted silver which is obviously incorrect....Dano

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 11
Thanks Vinny, Is that like an olive drab green?? Could I sse a picture. I have seen the 60mm Brandt projo in green, gray and red also. any signifigance here??? Dano

Photo of a replica 60mm Brandt Pneumatique

Hi Dano,
Here is a photo of a replica 60mm Brandt Mortier Pneumatique which was manufactured in the USA about 5 years ago.
Draoich

Attachments

• REPRODUCTION PNEUMATIC MORTAR.jpg
    REPRODUCTION PNEUMATIC MORTAR.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 31
Thanks Droacih

For picture of that fine 60mm Brandt mortar. Also here is a picture of original 60mm Brandt mortar from a period photograph. The repro you show is excellent as the sinilarities are ucanny. Awesome piece od machinery. also pictured is the 60mm Brandt projectile. The variants are mind boffling.......Dano

Attachments

• Picture%20727.jpg
    Picture%20727.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 8
Brandt de 60mm Modele 1915.jpg
Hi Dano,
Here is a photo taken in some French museum showing the Brandt Modele 1915 mortier pneumatique. It really looks like something out of a H.G. Wells novel!
Regards,
Draoich